Answered

Cannot update; constant error 30

• 26 November 2020
  • 15 replies

Badge +1
  • Contributor II
  • 9 replies

Updates have been frustrating since I bought my initial Sonos products 3 years ago.  It’s time to update again and I cannot get it to work over several tries.

Set up:

Android running newest version of the app (S2)

Bedroom - 1 One (wifi)

Living Room - 1 sub, 1 Playbar, 2 Ones as surround l+r (wifi)

Backyard - 1 Amp (wired)

Only the Living Room products show as requiring an update.  Update fails every time with code 30.  I tried doing one device only (sub), but saw the surround ones blinking white/orange during the process. 

I found some help here stating to change the wifi channel for the Sonos products and then the upgrade should work.  Guess what - can’t change the channel until the update has been completed - Catch 22.

What else can I try?

Support Diagnostics confirmation: 1646504668

icon

Best answer by John B 27 November 2020, 19:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

In Settings, System, About My System, what version(s) does it say your speakers are on?  And the controller?

Badge +1

App = Version = 12.2.1 (build 61183060), S2

Amp = Version = 12.2.1 (build 61183170), HW version = 1.24.1.12-1.2

Bedroom One = Version = 12.2 (build 61182310), HW version = 1.21.1.8-1.2

Living Room Playbar = Version = 12.1 (build 60381140), HW version = 1.9.1.10-1.2

Living Room RS One = Version = 12.1 (build 60381140), HW version = 1.21.1.8-1.2

Living Room Sub = Version = 12.1 (build 60381140), HW Version = 1.8.2.5-1.2

Living Room LS One = Version = 12.1 (build 60381140), HW version = 1.21.1.8-1.2

Since I couldn’t change the Sonos wifi channel, I changed my Orbi router from auto to channel 11, which made no difference, and then to channel 1 which also made no difference - update continues to fail with code 30.

Would you try the following please? Power off all your Sonos devices except the wired Amp. Uninstall the app on your mobile device, then download it afresh and choose to connect to existing system. If it doesn't prompt you to do a system update, go into System, System Updates and check for updates.

Please post back as to whether that updates OK or not and we can go from there.

Badge +1

Powered off all Sonos except Amp

Deleted Sonos S2 App from my phone

Powered all Sonos back up

Installed Sonos S2 App

Joined existing system

Went to Settings, saw 4 updates needed (all living room components)

Started update process

Update failed as previously with Error 30

Sorry but where did I say power the other Sonos back up?

Please go through all the steps again, exactly as stated, with nothing added, then post back. 

Badge +1

Ok,

Powered off all but amp

Deleted app from my phone

Installed fresh app

Joined existing system - The only thing in the system now is the Backyard>Amp

Settings>System>System Updates>Check for updates

Result = No Update Required, Your Sonos System is up to date

That's OK. What version do you have now in About My System,? (For Amp and controller)

Please leave other speakers still powered off

Badge +1

Controller = Version 12.2.1 (Build 61183060), S2

Amp = Version 12.2.1 (Build 61183170), HW Version 1.24.1.12-1.2

I think this is going to be fine. Power up the single One speaker and I think it will tell you your system is still up to date.  

Then try powering up the Playbar and check for updates. I think it will probably give error 30 again. If so  factory reset the Playbar and then add it to your system as a new speaker. Update and it should be OK.

To reset

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Badge +1

Powered up Bedroom One

Updated manually, worked as expected (Version 12.2.1 Build 61183170 - same as Amp)

Powered up Living Room Playbar

Updated manually, worked as expected (Version 12.2.1 Build 61183170)

Powered up Living Room Sub

Updated manually, worked as expected (Version 12.2.1 Build 61183170)

Powered up Living Room RS One

Several 1101 errors, then once it found the update I got error 30 repeatedly

Performed factory reset on RS One, but when re-adding as a new product (+Add Product), the system checks to see if the One is up to date and then throws error code 800 repeatedly.  I then tried to add it from the main settings screen where it shows up in a big picture at the top.  This requires an update and then fails with error code 30.

I am stuck here now.  Nothing was done with the LS One but I expect it will fail like RS One.

So at the moment, everything but the surrounds is up to date and working?

I would try just powering off the router and factory resetting again the speaker that will be RS. Power the router fully on. Wire tihe reset RS One speaker temporarily and add as a new product to your system - as a standalone speaker not as a surround.  Please post back with outcome.

If that fails I think I am out of ideas....  We will have made some progress but not fully resolved it. 

Badge +1

Ok, reset what was RS One again while hooked up via Ethernet cable.  It added fine and said no update was needed.  It’s at 12.2.1 (build 61183170) so one of the previous updates must have taken despite the error codes.

Factory reset what was LS One while connected via Ethernet.  Added it back and it ran the update just fine.

I re-added them as surrounds and everything appears fine now.  I am concerned this will all happen again the next time an update is required (which seems like every time I open the app).  I’ve turned off automatic updates in the hope it will help because when an update is required I lose all control over my system - I can’t play to multiple rooms.  Any idea if what we did was a one-time thing or will be needed every time?

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure what caused this to be honest. You had different speakers on different versions but Sonos would normally cope with that. 

To get full control over updates you need to turn off automatic updates on your app store. Once the app has updated Sonos will insist on the system being brought into line.

Badge +1

Got it!  Thanks again!

You should also research how to reserve IP addresses in your router, and reserve them for all your Sonos devices.