Cannot see group in device list help

• 6 November 2021
  • 32 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

At the moment, if I want to change one of these groupings, I have to follow these steps:

1. Tap on the speaker selection icon on Spotify
  2. Tap the three dots
  3. Tap the “Group Rooms” option which opens the Sonos app
  4. Select the set of speakers I want
  5. Press done to get back to Spotify and wait for the new grouping to get updated

This is a lot of extra steps compared to how I used to do this with Google Home groups. What I am curious is, if Spotify understands the grouping done in this manner, is there a reason that these groupings can’t be saved?

As per my comment above, it takes many extra taps to do this. Normally it takes 2 taps to switch the speaker group in Spotify, but if I want to use groupings like this for Sonos, it takes 7 taps. Given that Sonos groups are actually visible within Spotify, wondering why the “saved groups” are not directly showing up without these extra steps? 

@lost0000,

Can’t you go to groups (via the ellipsis menu) and select any room and hit the ‘ALL’ button - it’s just one click extra, but should do what you’re looking for (I think)? It’s much simpler too via the Sonos App, I find.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Ken_Griffiths this takes 7 taps for me from within the Spotify app when I want to start playing music. Is there a faster way to do it?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Most probably this type of use case is there for only a small number of people, but what is confusing to me is why saved groups don't behave the same way as grouping speakers together using the ellipses menu @Ken_Griffiths mentioned. Feels like an opportunity to simplify external integration UX?

PS: I was thinking about this more, and most probably Sonos is not letting you see the saved groups externally to simplify their handling of speaker conflicts (where two groups have the same speaker and two people are using those two groups). Google IIRC handles this by letting the second person win and switch over any conflicting speakers. 

@Ken_Griffiths this takes 7 taps for me from within the Spotify app when I want to start playing music. Is there a faster way to do it?

Yes there are lots of much easier ways … but not via the Spotify App. Spotify would need to change these things.

Room ‘grouping’ can be done automatically ‘on the fly’ using Alexa and Alexa ‘enabled’ groups, or simply ask SVC to play to the Sonos Group, or there is a third party iOS App called ‘Soro’ that can make room grouping easier. Even Apple Airplay is perhaps a slightly easier option, but of course these things depend on which things you choose to use/have access to … you’re relying on Spotify ‘connect’ to do these things and that only works in the way described. 

I only use the Spotify ‘Free’ version, so I don’t use their App too often, but it appears you only need do these things once a day, if you do it regularly, every-day at similar times, for example, you could perhaps automate the room grouping using one of the methods described earlier (Alexa/SVC/Soro etc.) - the only other thing would be to perhaps submit a ‘feature request’ to Spotify or Sonos, I guess, but it may only save you a couple of extra ‘clicks’, but see what they say. 

Just to assist further you can speak to Sonos Support Staff to put the feature request forward via this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Or speak to Spotify Customer Support via this link:

https://support.spotify.com/uk/article/contact-us/

I hope that assists. 👍

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks. This is very helpful. Appreciate you taking the time to help. I will try following up on those channels. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think Sonos would disagree about it not being sustainable to integrate other parties’ features in their app. That’s what they’ve been doing since Sonos opened up their system to other parties. They let other parties do the work though.

Good thing the integration does seems to work!