Question

Cannot connect in last couple of weeks of October

• 30 October 2020
  • 16 replies

Badge

Anyone else having similar? “Cannot connect” type issues. App opens up but can only see a Symfonisk speaker, or tells me it can see the Sub but it’s not configured. The chat facility has no one available most of the time and ‘other means of contacting us’ is a dead link.

How can the app have WiFi connect issues but quite happily sends diagnostics, the wifi is either there and accessible or not.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @jimct1.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Let me go further check your concern, base on the diagnostic report some of your devices is not connected properly to the Sonos cloud.

Try unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug your Sonos devices back in.

It could also help you to have a stable connection if you can connect one of your Sonos products directly to the router using an ethernet cable.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

Mark,

Thanks for getting back but all this “switch it off and back on again” is disappointing, it’s hit and hope. My router has been on and off several times, the Sonos devices too. On/off, hard-wired, wifi, Privacy setting allowed, Bluetooth On/Off, it’s flakey. Just now, it cannot see the Beam, either One SLs, the Amp or Sub, there’s a fundamental issue here that needs addressed, not “let’s see if we get lucky this time”.

Currently, the only device the app can see is the Symfonisk in the Dining Room, ie. the only non-Sonos device. Is that significant?

1. If everything connects via the Beam, how can this happen, ie. only the Symfonisk is visible?
  2. How can the app send diagnostics via wifi when ‘Sonos is not on this network’ or similar?
  3. Other issues; my wife and I have old SEs, on Monday night the Sonos app on her phone was seeing different devices to mine, on occasion, devices being seen but somehow not configured, devices not seen when I attempt to ‘+ Add product’

Airplay works, Alexa works, Hive works, my LG TV can see the Beam, Amp and the Sub but Sonos can’t? 

This needs more than the old switch it off and back on again.

Note that in order to fix certain potential issues within your network, the sequence of when devices are powered off / rebooted is significant. It’s not enough to just have the router off several times, and the Sonos devices rebooted too. If the Sonos devices are not powered down while the router is rebooted, you won’t get the full potential ‘fix’. 

And it isn’t a ‘let’s get lucky’ fix, it is addressing a fairly common issue where a router (and not the Sonos) loses track of where it is in the DHCP table, and hands out duplicate IP addresses to the Sonos, which is in use by another device. Because there are two devices fighting for the same address on your router, one will be connected, while the other isn’t, and then they’ll swap, likely based on vagaries of signal strength. That means at times, Sonos devices will appear, while they are connected to your router, and then disappear, when they aren’t. 

Badge

If the router is the issue why is Sonos the only product with issues as I mentioned above?

I’ve just gone into the Lounge and watched a couple of videos on YouTube, the sound comes from the Beam and One SLs, therefore the Beam is connecting to the Ones. I go into my Sonos app and it still sees only the Symfonisk. How can the Beam be controlling output to the Ones via wifi but the Sonos app can’t see it?

The setup was fine there for two days, this morning it’s gaga again, although the other non-Sonos devices are fine. This is a Sonos issue, a recent Sonos issue.

I’d appreciate you addressing my queries above and previously.

However, I will go through the hoops again, maybe I’ll get lucky this time.

Badge

Hi,

Rebooted the router and am now back up. Sonos  Settings>System can see everything except the Symfonisk. Howver, I had a group set up which included the Conservatory and the Dining Room(this is where the Symfonisk is) and when I play music on that group the Symfonisk plays!

It’s now visible in Settings>System.

Please, don’t tell me that’s not an issue with your app.

Would still like a response to the questions raised previously.

Badge

Saturday morning “Unable to connect to Sonos”. Unplugged the Beam, left it a couple of minutes, put it back on. Switched the TV on and watched a couple of videos on YouTube, checked Sonos and everything was connected. Fine for the rest of Saturday.

Sunday morning, same situation. Tried the above but this time no luck.

Back to pot luck.

Re. the router “losing track of where it is in the DHCP table and handing out duplicate addresses”. Why does this not affect Airplay? Or Alexa? What are you doing that makes it vulnerable when other wifi devices aren’t?

First time poster and I would have created a separate query, but this seems eerily similar to my own problem, interestingly just happened over the past two weeks and I also have a Beam wired into my router - coincidence? Several times over the past 2 weeks I have had the “Sonos can’t connect”, but like the OP, TV sound plays through the Beam and the two Ones I have as surround speakers. I also have a pair of Ones in the kitchen on the Ground Floor (USA = 1F), my son’s bedroom on the first floor (USA = 2F) and our loft bedroom on the second floor (USA = 3F). Try as I might I can’t seem to get my son’s speakers reconnected - I bring them downstairs and connect via Ethernet cable to the router and the App will see them, disconnect the cable and they disappear. Getting very fed up constantly rebooting... diagnostic is 280112774 - system very stable until about 2 weeks ago. Once again, happy to create a separate thread if this is recommended.

Badge

This morning’s situation, put TV on, watched YT, sound in the Beam and One SL’s was fine. Fired up the Sonos app and all it could see was the Beam and SLs. Unplugged the Beam, waited five minutes, plugged it back in and everything is visible.

Still saying the issue is in my router?

Badge

This morning, Tuesday. TV sound via Beam and One SLs working fine, Airply sees the Beam but the Sonos app can’t see sh….

Unplug the Beam, wait five, plug it back in, wait five, everything has appeared.

Still saying the issue is the router?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If you haven’t done so (and it sounds like you haven’t)  I’d suggest you set fixed ip addresses for your Sonos devices. You’ll need to power them all down, then restart your router again to be sure of a clean address allocation, but it may resolve this repeating problem. 

Badge

If you haven’t done so (and it sounds like you haven’t)  I’d suggest you set fixed ip addresses for your Sonos devices. You’ll need to power them all down, then restart your router again to be sure of a clean address allocation, but it may resolve this repeating problem. 

Thanks for this, attacking the issue at source rather than just making it ‘go away’ until the next time which seems to be the Sonos support preferred approach.

Will look into it and give it a try if it’s not too techie. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Indeed so. Since I went “fixed” several years ago I’ve been virtually issue-free. Running in SonosNet also frees up wifi bandwidth, but I’d start with fixing ip addresses and see what effect that has first. 

Might be a bit “techie” for me and my case. I could understand if I was running on my WIFI - I could try and investigate whether I could do this through my router but I (like the OP) have an ethernet connection to the Beam and then other speakers are on Sonosnet. Does my router allocate those Sonosnet IP addresses or do they come from the Beam? If the Beam how would I allocate fixed IP addresses?

An update from my side is that I gave up trying to “re-install” my son’s speakers - I installed them as if new again. I have been running on Sonosnet for several months, I didn’t know about the feature until reading this forum but it has been far better than my WIFI - until these last 2 weeks anyway.  

Badge

Had a look and this does seem too techie for someone of my extremely limited skill level to get involved in. I’m on a Virgin Hub3, what are you on Milltir? Seems if I do this I need to be careful with the addresses I pick and the if I need to re-boot my router I could be out my depth.

I wonder, if this is a way out, would Sonos be interested in making it an option in the app?

Badge

This morning the app can see the Amp, Sub and Symfonisk but not the Beam or One SLs.

If everything connects via the Beam does this not point towards a specific issue that could be addressed rather than the old switcheroo tactic?

jimct1 - I also have Virgin Hub 3 (UK). I have looked at the Virgin Community forum but haven’t seen any specific threads on Hub3-Sonos connectivity dated in the last 18 months.