Skip to main content

I just bought the Sonos port and the Onkyo receiver TX-NR696 because it is compatible with Sonos, but can’t seem to get it to work. I have followed all of the set up required by Onkyo and changed the setting  correctly. The set is through the CD on the back of the receiver just like every video I watch suggest. 

The best I have got is when I switch the line out level to Pass-Through on the Sonos app and it was just garbled noise, but It was the song I had playing… and now not even that working. 

I also bought 4 Sonos One speakers thinking I could be listening to all Sonos speakers through out my house while also listening through my current surround sound speakers as well. At this point it seems I have wasted my money up buying the Onkyo receiver and all of the Sonos products. Nothing is working like it should it seems.

Can someone please help me figure this out… I’m stumped. 

Scott

Make sure the RCA cable is connected from the Port’s Audio Out to the Onkyo’s CD Audio In. Then select the CD input on the Onkyo and play music from the Port.

Yes, I did that. I have triple checked everything. There is no reason why it shouldn’t be working. This is my very first experience with Sonos… literally less then a full day, so I don’t have anything to look back too. 

The reason I say that is I just started getting a notification on my phone from Sonos. “notification: stopping the service may interrupt playback notifications”. I have combed through the services and I turned everything on… so who knows. 

Have you tried connecting the Port to a different input on the receiver?

If you stream music from the Port and group any of the Ones to the Port in the Sonos app, do the Ones play the Port audio?

Music plays fine to the Sonos One speakers, but no I haven’t tried another receiver yet. I’m working my way towards that option though.

Try setting the Port volume control to Fixed.

I have been doing that. I tried every possible combination I can think of… Its certainly frustrating. 

Thanks all for the attempted help. I have no insight to what happened, but I finally got it working. All I did was uninstall the app and reset everything by leaving it unplugged for a bit. I didn’t unplug anything other than the power cables. I set all setting back to the original setting that should have worked. Added back all of my Sonos speakers and Port and now everything seems to work fine. I noticed the Sonos app keep freezing up as well, so I also rebooted my phone. I’m at a loss of what went wrong or where the hook up was. 

Thanks all for the attempted help. I have no insight to what happened, but I finally got it working. All I did was uninstall the app and reset everything by leaving it unplugged for a bit. I didn’t unplug anything other than the power cables. I set all setting back to the original setting that should have worked. Added back all of my Sonos speakers and Port and now everything seems to work fine. I noticed the Sonos app keep freezing up as well, so I also rebooted my phone. I’m at a loss of what went wrong or where the hook up was. 

Hope everything remains stable for you! 

Just a clarification: unplugging is not a reset, but plugging in again makes for a reboot.