can’t connect two of my speakers together

• 29 December 2020
  • 21 replies

Badge +1

Hi I have have 3 units for years, but for the last year I have have issues joining two of my speakers together. I can connect both of the speakers to the other device, but not at the same time. 

I have reset all the units many times but always the same problem. 

your help would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Can you kindly provide a screenshot from your ‘about my system’ device list showing the three devices. You will find that in "Settings/System” in the Sonos App and do you have just one central Router/WiFi device, or are there other WiFi access points available on your LAN?

Badge +1

Ken

thanks for replying, I am just using one router, I have even had all three units sitting on a table next to each other. It is alway the bedroom and kitchen units that can not link. Every now and again it will work but I would say that is 1 in 50 attempts. 

See attached the screen shots you requested. 

thanks 

Glenn

The screenshot didn’t make it? - you may need to wait a few seconds for it to upload to the server, before then submitting the post/attachment.

Badge +1

Badge +1

Well everything looks fine there...

So, just to clarify, in the Sonos S2 App, do you goto the middle icon on the main toolbar and click on one of your ‘sonos rooms’ (icon in top right corner of the room), in order to group them together via the next display screen, which looks like (similar to) the screenshot attached here to my post?

See if this animation assists you at all to resolve things…

Is there any difference between adding Kitchen to Bedroom, as opposed to adding Bedroom to Kitchen?

Badge +1

Please see attached three screen shots of what I can do, but I can’t link the kitchen and bedroom together. As I said before every now and then it will work. 

thanks 

glenn

What happens when you try?

Starting with the ‘Kitchen Room’ (small icon), choose to link Bedroom to it... and then go onto try the other way around starting with ‘Bedroom’ (small icon) - see if they will group one way, but not the other.

Can you make a note of any error messages.

Badge +1

Ken 

please see the link below showing what happens when I try to play everywhere.

Video of me trying

thanks 

Glenn

Badge +1

Ken

please see a video of what you ask me to do. 

https://share.icloud.com/photos/01cyKUn0YiEZIS8MyB6AvDAGA

thanks 

Glenn

Okay I have seen the video - here are my suggestions.

There are several things to try, let’s begin with these steps in order:

1. Open the Sonos App and goto ‘settings/app preferences’ and choose to reset the App. On reopening the App, bypass the opening introductory screens and ‘connect to the ‘existing’ Sonos system. Do not create a new system. Then see if it works.
  2. If not, just try with your mobile controller device connected to the routers 2.4ghz band rather than the 5ghz band… ensure any guest WiFi networks on the router are switched off and perhaps also reboot your router.
  3. Reboot the Bedroom speaker.
  4. If still no luck, go onto try a different channel/channel-width on the router (choose channel 11, 6 or 1) for the 2.4ghz band and set a channel width of 20Mhz
  5. The last resort is to perhaps factory reset the Bedroom speaker and add it back to your system via ‘Add Product’, but that is if the other options have not resolved the matter.

Badge +1

Ken 

just tried all these, but no difference. If it was the router setting would it not be a random one that would not connect, and not the same pair all the time?

thanks 

Glenn

Ken 

just tried all these, but no difference. If it was the router setting would it not be a random one that would not connect, and not the same pair all the time?

thanks 

Glenn

The router settings suggested was to help reduce interference - it might be relevant based on the devices current location. All the suggestions had a different purpose. I take it the factory reset didn’t work either?

Badge +1

Ken 

no, I have tried this several times before, I have even reset all at the same time. 

thanks 

Glenn

I’ve had one further possible thought on your issue - in the Sonos App there are ‘Groups’ held under "Settings/System” - if you do have an ‘Everywhere Group’ showing in that area, can you also remove it. 

If still no joy, having tried the things I suggested, then I would submit a diagnostic report  (post it’s reference back here) and perhaps make contact with Sonos Customer Care via this LINK and refer them to this thread and your video. 

Badge +1

Diagnostic No.   37734344

also how do I point Sonos customer care to this thread?

This feels like it might be an IP addressing issue. And it is unusual to have 68 as the third part of the IP address- usually it's 0 or 1.

They are all consistent and I am not aware of any reason why this should be a problem,  it just looks unfamiliar. 

There is definitely no other device on your network that could be acting as a DHCP server?

This could be a complete red herring.

GlennMills,
You could tell them to look at postid 16503486 in the troubleshooting area of the forum, or perhaps send them the below URL via email/message:

1. https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/can-t-connect-two-of-my-speakers-together-6853535?postid=16503486#post16503486