Skip to main content
Answered

Can’t connect Play 1

• 10 December 2021
  • 6 replies

I have 2 Play 1’s, and they won’t connect.  Only one will connect and it says not compatible and tries to update me to Sonos S2 controller.  S2 controller won’t recognize the system and says it’s not compatible.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Did you get the play:1 from someone else who may have upgraded it to S2 software. 

No, they’re mine but I have S2 software as well as we have the newer 1 models in our office.  We have the older Play 1 at home.  I have both S1 software and S2 software and neither one will work

No, they’re mine but I have S2 software as well as we have the newer 1 models in our office.  We have the older Play 1 at home.  I have both S1 software and S2 software and neither one will work

Is it a Sonos One SL, or are you trying to ‘create’ a new S1 Sonos System just using a Sonos One? Either way, neither of these things are possible.

You will need an S1 only product to create an old S1 System and you also cannot do that if you are running an S2 system from your mobile controller device.

If you can perhaps provide a little more detail about the setup and any current (existing) Sonos systems, there maybe some suggestions that can be put forward to possibly get to your desired Sonos setup.

Just to add, I’m also assuming here that your issue is not router-related at this moment in time until some further information is forthcoming.

I have both S1 and S2 on my iphone as I have have an S2 system at the office and S1 system at home.  Does that mean I can no longer use my older generation system?

I downloaded the S1 controller on another device, and it prompts me to download the S2 and that it can control all devices 🤷 

You’re starting up the wrong application in the wrong place. 

Start up the S2 app and use it while you’re at work. At home, start up the S1 app. They can coexist on your iPhone.