Answered

Can a Sonos Connect choose wireless SonosNet even when wired?

• 14 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hello, I’m trying to get to the bottom of an issue with one of my players dropping out audio, all others are perfect.

Short Q: I have a Connect that is wired to a network switch and has frequent drop outs - can it choose to use wireless even though it has an ethernet cable in the back of it?

Long Q:

Sonos system made up of:

Port - Wired

Connect - Wired

Play 1 stereo Pair - Wired

Play 1 - Wired 

2 x Play 1 - Not Wired

No changes to my system for a few years, the last change I made was to replace an older ZP90 with a Port when S2 happened. Everything has been happy until the last couple of months, the Connect has been suffering drop outs - sometimes a second or 2 which it recovers from, sometimes it won’t even start.

I’ve been on to Sonos support a couple of times and they have changed the WiFi channel on the Sonos system and changed the channel on my Virgin Hub 3 and turned off Auto Channel. This hasn’t fixed it (maybe it has helped, but hard to be sure as it’s an intermittent issue) and I have since put the VM Hub settings back to how they were as it had stopped my plug in VM Mesh / Extender from working.

I’m wondering why Sonos Support are focussing on my WiFi as with the Connect wired I’d expect it not to matter what state my VM or Sonos Net WiFi is in? Can a player decide to still connect wirelessly despite having a cable plugged in to the back of it? I’ve currently disabled WiFi on the Connect via the app in the room settings and at the moment it has been happily playing away for 18hrs with no drop outs that I’ve heard (although I haven’t been listening constantly).

I’m not against replacing the Connect with another Port but there’s no way I want to do that if the new player is going to suffer the same issues.

Cheers for any insight into the issue.

icon

Best answer by John B 15 January 2024, 12:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

We cannot rule out a hardware fault. In answer to your specific question: no a healthy unit will not resort to using WIFi or wireless SonosNet when a wired network connection is available.

Hardware issues can be wildly intermittent. Mother Nature is never fair. Keep a written log.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Since you don’t have any WiFi only Sonos why not remove the WiFi SSID and password so no Sonos can access your WiFi?

I’m wondering why Sonos Support are focussing on my WiFi

otally 

So am I!

In “About My System”, is the Connect labelled as WM:0 or WM:1?

WM 0 indicates connection via Ethernet or SonosNet, so would not totally confirm if the cable is working.  Have you tried just swapping out the cable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There is a big thread claiming that Connects running on S2 are prone to random drop-outs, independent of their connection method.