Answered

Buzzing sound from Sonos Playbar

• 5 January 2021
  • 11 replies

Hi

I have a buzzing sound coming through my playbar - 1st gen.

It appears to be from the source (tv) as I was not getting it on Spotify. 

I have changed the optical cable. Still getting it.

My sound settings are set to PCM.

Once I turn tv off it remains for a few seconds before continuing. When I reset by unplugging power it disappears before returning again. 

Any assistance appreciated. 

support - diagnostics submitted 

ref 1335267663

icon

Best answer by Simon B 6 January 2021, 23:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @alphajericho, thanks for the update and for sending a diagnostic report of your Sonos system. upon checking, it shows that the speakers show offline but when I opened the diagnostic results. it doesn’t detect any issues on the Playbar. I’ll ask you to take a video proof when the issue is happening and kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. They’ll ask for the video proof and additional troubleshooting steps and options for this issue. 

Let us know how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

I’d suggest the word ‘evidence’ rather than ‘proof’, there is a subtle difference. ‘Proof’ has an implication that the OP is lying, which none of us think. ‘Evidence’ suggests that the phone support team needs more direct understanding of what the issue is. 

It’s a subtle difference in the English language, but it might be offensive to the OP. 

Hi @alphajericho, thanks for the update and for sending a diagnostic report of your Sonos system. upon checking, it shows that the speakers show offline but when I opened the diagnostic results. it doesn’t detect any issues on the Playbar. I’ll ask you to take a video proof when the issue is happening and kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. They’ll ask for the video proof and additional troubleshooting steps and options for this issue. 

Let us know how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Yes it was offline because of the issue - I couldn’t exactly use it. So if I take video of the issue, how will the phone support assist exactly with the video? Has this chat been logged so they can reference it? 

I’d suggest the word ‘evidence’ rather than ‘proof’, there is a subtle difference. ‘Proof’ has an implication that the OP is lying, which none of us think. ‘Evidence’ suggests that the phone support team needs more direct understanding of what the issue is. 

It’s a subtle difference in the English language, but it might be offensive to the OP. 

Thanks man, it’s all good. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @alphajericho, & @Airgetlam, thanks for the update. Sorry about the word usage, I don’t want to be misunderstood by anyone and did not mean to offend the OP, my sincere apology for the incident.  But kindly contact our phone support team so they can gather those video evidence and give further options for this concern. The phone support team will send an email and ask you to send or reply to the email to send the video evidence.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please, don’t hesitate to let me know.

I’ve been having the same issue April 2020--sudden buzzing when watching TV via optical output.  Once it’s triggered, the only way to stop it is to unplug the power from the playbar.  After it’s plugged back in again, the issue will go away--same TV/video content, just without the buzz.  The challenging part is you don’t know when it’ll happen again or how to reproduce it.  It could be days or weeks apart.

Sonos Support had replaced the until three times!  But all of them have the same issue. I’ve helped tested in various ways, changed to different input sources, video recorded the issue when it happened live, etc. However, Sonos refuses to take the unit back, unless I get another TV (current one is LG OLED TV), which I don’t have, to test.  Now I’m stuck with a defective unit.  Very disappointing because I have many other Sonos devices in the house--never with any hardware issue like this. 

Userlevel 7

@vilini Have you tried a different optical cable? Can you test your speaker on another TV to see if you have the same problem?

I first thought of the cable, so I had replaced it with a more “premium” optical cable--no effect.  I have only one TV in the house and am unable to borrow a TV from neighbors, as Support had suggested.  I’ve tested with optical out from a computer source--same issue.  

Userlevel 7

@vilini The fact that you have had the same problem with three different units makes me think it is either your TV or some sort of electrical interference or power issue. Do you have any other devices near your sound bar? How exactly do you have everything plugged into power?

The Playbar, a TV, and a Nintendo Switch console are plugged into the same surge protector that is plugged into the 1 of 2 outlets on the wall.  

Userlevel 7

@vilini Do you have another power strip/surge protector you could use? Also, move any other devices away from the Playbar.