F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

Just to update, my experience with v0.26.04.04227-BT firmware update seems to be good. Sonos app has been able to see the all speakers every time I’ve accessed it. It’s only been a day or so, but usually by now atleast one of my devices would have stopped seeing them by now. 

Since my last post my router has had a forced restart and touch wood everything since is back to normal. I can now see my sonos system with 5ghz switched back on and can control from both my laptop and mobile on 5ghz. My printer is also back playing nicely. Hopefully this is it sorted. Firmware v0.26.04.04227-BT for reference

I’ve had similar issues with my play 5 & 3. My BT Hub has firmware v0.26.03.01286-BT dated 20/4/2020.  Today I ‘phoned the Sonos helpline and they could not have been more helpful. We spent 45 minutes going through the set up, I was told that there was a known issue with the hub and subsequently changed the hub settings by disabling the 5GhZ signal.  All works perfectly now. I also have ‘smart’ heating controls which have been causing a lot of problems recently, the ‘fix’ by Sonos also solved these issues.  Great service from Sonos.

So glad I’ve just come across this post - I knew things had been working absolutely perfectly until early April, and although I had figured out the temporary fix of switching off 5hrtz, I just couldn’t figure out what was causing the problem and thought I was losing my mind!

Let’s hope BT keep their promise to issue fix in four or five weeks time

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Now on the BBC, that should do it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56949262

Just to update, my experience with v0.26.04.04227-BT firmware update seems to be good. Sonos app has been able to see the all speakers every time I’ve accessed it. It’s only been a day or so, but usually by now atleast one of my devices would have stopped seeing them by now. 

How did you get the firmware update? BT are saying it could be several more weeks for everyone to get it. Is there a process to follow?

I see that Bt have uploaded v0.26.04.04227-BT firmware to my hub overnight.  I think I’ll leave my 5Ghz switched off for the moment and see how the update goes with the community

Since my last post my router has had a forced restart and touch wood everything since is back to normal. I can now see my sonos system with 5ghz switched back on and can control from both my laptop and mobile on 5ghz. My printer is also back playing nicely. Hopefully this is it sorted. Firmware v0.26.04.04227-BT for reference

how did you force the restart and get update? BT have no idea when i contact them

Badge +17

Hey folks,

Just letting you know there’s a new statement by BT at the top of the original post on this thread :slight_smile:

Just rang BT - they acknowledged the issue. Told me there was no individual router update. The only workaround they have is to remotely disconnect the 5ghz connection. I said the publicity on BBC gives the impression individual callers have router updated with a software update. I was told this is not correct - they are working on a fix and in the meantime the only solution is to temporarily turn off 5ghz connection which they have done remotely. They said fault lies with recent update to Home Hub 2 which they are working on. Hopefully sorted by end of May. 

Thanks for the original post and the update from BT. Just letting folks know that I contacted them about this issue a few minutes ago and they didn’t admit to having a fix yet. They just reiterated that they would sort it ‘as soon as they could’...:rolling_eyes:  

My Sonos system and various other devices were working with this router before the firmware update in April. I wasn’t 100% sure what update had caused the issue but it now looks like it’s the BT one! (there is also page on this on BT support) 

So just to confirm after 24 hours that firmware v0.26.04.04227-BT hasn't been the total success I had hoped. Things seem more stable and I have managed numerous hours of sonos use with 5ghz enabled. However dropouts are unpredictable and I cannot identify what is causing the issues. One minute I can see the sonos system and the next I can't. Things are improving clearly but still not the final fix that is needed 

For those asking how to get the update, raise a complaint with BT https://www.bt.com/help/complaints

Someone should call you back in a couple of days. Apparently there is a team internally looking at it. Be very clear with them it’s an acknowledged known issue, as the person might not be immediately aware of it. Mine wasn’t, but they eventually tracked it down and were able to help.

The firmware update seems to have resolved the issue for me. I went a couple of days without issue. However I’ve now installed a Sonos Boost, as I’d ordered this pre the new firmware coming out. Despite it looking like it’s been resolved I don’t trust there not to be issues again in the future. Everything working perfectly with the Boost in place. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Today Firmware updated to v0.26.04.04227-BT after contacting BT Team through BT Community thread.

Router restarted, 5ghz turned back on and all seems to be working fine on all devices

Had an update from BT to say my case is closed, but still no connection on Play 1, they are now saying 4/5 weeks to sort it, its really not good enough!

Badge

I logged a complaint last week with BT, they closed it without contacting me and I can see the firmware has not been updated. So this morning  have re-opened the complaint and told them to contact me. It’s causing Sonos issues and also wireless printing issues. Let hope for a solution soon

I logged a complaint last week with BT, they closed it without contacting me and I can see the firmware has not been updated. So this morning  have re-opened the complaint and told them to contact me. It’s causing Sonos issues and also wireless printing issues. Let hope for a solution soon

Which firmware are you running on your hub mate please ?

Badge

If need to check the number, but last updated early April 

Anyone experiencing similar problems with other devices such as wireless printers ?

Our HP Envy 5030 is refusing to operate but says connected to router but remains invisible to laptop iPads and iPhones.

Yes I’m having this problem with my Epson XP-8600 as well as my Sonos speakers …. I’ve submitted a complaint to BT

Update from BT - spoke to a nice lady who suggested I switch all products working on 5ghz to 2.4ghz! Not what I signed up for … I’m leaving BT when the contract expires :-)  

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

My BT complaint has also been closed even though I didn’t close it??

I contacted help, but couldn’t really get anywhere.

I have all of my Sonos speakers linked to a Boost, apart from my Move, which can’t attach to a Boost.

The Sonos speakers that are attached to the Boost are ok, but the Move is pretty much unusable.

It doesn’t show up on my iPhone app & responds to my ‘Alexa’ prompt, but doesn’t complete the task I ask?

For example, tonight I asked Alexa on the Move to “Play 5Live” it responds with “Playing 5Live” only to not play anything???

I have tried this 4 times with no luck….

I noticed that every time I asked Alexa, the white light on top of the unit flashes a few times, but nothing happens???

Even weirder is that the Move shows up on my Wife’s Android S2 app, but not the iPhones S2 app??

I am at a loss with the poor connection issues I am experiencing with Sonos….🤦‍♂️

I have all of my Sonos speakers linked to a Boost, apart from my Move, which can’t attach to a Boost.

The Sonos speakers that are attached to the Boost are ok, but the Move is pretty much unusable.

It doesn’t show up on my iPhone app & responds to my ‘Alexa’ prompt, but doesn’t complete the task I ask?

For example, tonight I asked Alexa on the Move to “Play 5Live” it responds with “Playing 5Live” only to not play anything???

I noticed that every time I asked Alexa, the white light on top of the unit flashes a few times, but nothing happens???

Even weirder is that the Move shows up on my Wife’s Android S2 app, but not the iPhones S2 app??

I am at a loss with the poor connection issues I am experiencing with Sonos….🤦‍♂️

sounds like exactly what’s been happening since the firmware update. The wireless devices can’t see each other properly. Nothing you can do until BT fix it. I raised a complaint with them following the link given above and after a couple of days they got in touch and updated it. Too early to say whether it’s fixed things yet but so far so good.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

sounds like exactly what’s been happening since the firmware update. The wireless devices can’t see each other properly. Nothing you can do until BT fix it. I raised a complaint with them following the link given above and after a couple of days they got in touch and updated it. Too early to say whether it’s fixed things yet but so far so good.

I thought as much….

The whole system has gone off again tonight, with only a full reset getting them back working.

I think I might switch them off until this update has been issued, as it’s getting beyond frustrating to live with….🤬

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I thought as much….

The whole system has gone off again tonight, with only a full reset getting them back working.

I think I might switch them off until this update has been issued, as it’s getting beyond frustrating to live with….🤬

Did you actually read the initial post at all? Disable 5GHz. That’s it. Quit blaming Sonos for BT’s mess.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I thought as much….

Did you actually read the initial post at all? Disable 5GHz. That’s it. Quit blaming Sonos for BT’s mess.

I have read all the posts & calm down, aren’t forums made for venting your anger??

Plus, if you read my post properly I’m not directly blaming Sonos for anything….🤦‍♂️

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I put this in another thread about the same issue but TLDR I contacted BT and they said my router had refused the update they tried to send (?) so I needed a new router. 

Set it up today and everything is going perfectly, just as it did before this mess started. Got my 5Ghz band on, no Sonos units wired, and everything works in the apps on pc, phone and tablets.

I assumed it had an advanced firmware preinstalled on it, but looking at it, it’s actually a really old firmware v0.24.04.11017-BT so I’m hoping it doesn’t do an update overnight and bork itself again…

Looking at the update date it was today, 12th May, so maybe they have removed the recent firmwares from the update process?