Boost fails to register

• 21 February 2024
  • 8 replies

Just added a boost to my system - 2 era 100, 1 move, 1 move2 , 1 roam and a google wifi mesh. It will ADD to the system but refuses to register to my account.

8 replies

Did you purchase this BOOST new, or used? It may just need a simple factory reset before adding it, so it gets added to your Sonos account. 

Purchased brand new - have done factory resets, restarts, etc.

Userlevel 7

None of the Sonos speakers you have listed use the Boost (SonosNet), they all connect through your router’s WiFi.

Thanks, Mr, T. Yes, I just found that out - it is mentioned nowhere in the Boost manual - or the speaker manuals. Naughty Sonos. :)

While I agree with @Mr. T on the SonosNet connection, there is no reason why the BOOST shouldn’t be added to your account listed at www.sonos.com. You may want to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

If you are still within the return window for BOOST, I suggest that you return it because it will be ignored by all of the units listed. Regardless, it should have installed.

Thanks for that info, Sonos Community members. We live in regional coastal Australia, and during the annual heavy rain and floods, our NBN internet falters and drops out - so we bought a backup SpaceX Starlink so we could connect our Google Wifi Mesh and Sonos speakers (2 era 100, 1 move, 1 move2 , 1 roam) to it in an emergency. Can’t seem to do any of it, and someone recommended adding a Sonos Boost by ethernetting it to the Starlink to run the speakers. Nope - it won’t work with either the NBN router or the Starlink router… no joy for any of that.

the Starlink antenna is still attached to the roof, so we’ll just get a Starlink account turned on in an emergency, and just run the computers and TVs and phones from it. It’s really great and fast, but I’ve tried everything I can think of to get the Sonos speakers to work with it and there seems to be no way, even splitting the Starlink router to two - 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz to see if the speakers would connect on 2.4 - no. The Boost was a last resort.

so, I thought, why not at least try to add it to my Google Wifi mesh router - it might add stability to the Sonos speakers - the Era 100s seem to drop out for no reason sometimes - they seem to be unexplainably wifi-unstable.

i did not know that the Boost simply didn’t create a SonosNet for the Eras, Moves and Roam, so I was trying in vain anyway. sigh.

thank you, folks for setting me straight.

Thanks, buzz, - we bought the Boost with some Frequent Flyer Points, so got it essentially for nothing, so I’ll just put it in the “old, broken or outdated technology” pile for dumping. 👍😊