Best CD player to connect to AMP

• 1 December 2022
  • 20 replies

Last Christmas I purchased a Sonos AMP in order to connect a CD player to my Sonos speakers.  I researched CD players but never purchased one.  I am now ready to purchase a CD player and all the articles I am finding are outdated and the links are to CD players that are no longer in stock or available.

What is the best and easiest CD player that I can purchase to connect to my Sonos AMP in order to play CD’s?

20 replies

Userlevel 7

What is your budget? CD players can range from $20 to $6,000.

I have found the Brennan B3 but was hoping to spend under $500…

Everything I have seen is also just a single disc CD player (unless you rip all your CDs)...does a 5 CD player or more exist?

Userlevel 7

Here are a couple of 6-disc players under $500:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-WcXL1EQkewQ/p_164CDC34/Integra-CDC-3-4.html?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_580DXC390/Onkyo-DX-C390.html

Badge

I have a 5-CD SONY player.  Nothing elaborate, but it work very good.  Model CDP-CE525. Most of the high-end CD players I see are only single disk drawers.  I can’t see myself paying thousand(s) for a single disk unit.

My question which brought me to the group tonight, was how to connect it to the Amp.

I am finding are outdated and the links are to CD players that are no longer in stock or available.

That is because CD players are obsolete with CDs being obsolete as a medium for carrying digital music files. 

But even if you can find it’s obsolete sibling, a DVD player, that will do the job, if you must play CDs.

Any unit that has analog out jacks will work with the Sonos Amp, wired to the analog in jacks on the amp.

PS: This concurrent thread is relevant:

https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/starting-from-zero-6878036?postid=16629904#post16629904

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the Amp is used for surround duties the RCA in is disabled, though.

This is a current CD-player that got a What Hifi reward: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/marantz-cd6007

It even plays files from a connected USB.

so what everyone is saying is that I can in fact hook up any CD player to a Sonos AMP with the proper RCA cord...and I don’t have to go out and buy a new one.  I have at least two in storage that I know of.

Thanks,

Joel

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Unless the Amp is used for surround duties, yes.

I purchased the AMP specifically in order to hook a CD player up to it...I have 8 pairs of Ones throughout the house and just want to be able to play the hundreds of CDs I have.  I thought I needed to get some fancy CD player to make this work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Getting a 5-CD player (maybe used) would probably be a good option for you, then.

Blue-ray players will generally play anything that is 5” round and shinny, but the control interface is usually slower than CD players. Also, don’t assume that a DVD or Blue-ray player will have an analog audio output -- always check this point.

Blue-ray players will generally play anything that is 5” round and shinny, but the control interface is usually slower than CD players. Also, don’t assume that a DVD or Blue-ray player will have an analog audio output -- always check this point.

OK, Danny, again, you’re making me laugh out loud. If I were in an office, instead of at home, people would be looking at me funny. 

just confirming I need a RCA to RCA cable?

just confirming I need a RCA to RCA cable?

Male RCA to Male RCA stereo cable. 

Hello community! I've tried to find this info but only got half the answers. I've found that a cd or turntable can be connected. The only device besides my TV will be a CD Transport player. My question will be if Sonos AMP  will be able to amplify my transporter and if I can listen to my passive kef ls 50 meta speakers.  And regarding surrounding capabilities besides one pair of speakers, i can add 2 more speakers for Surround in the back of the room wired or wireless?  Thank you. 

The Amp can power a set of KEF speakers. 

The analog line in on any Sonos device is stereo only, there is no ‘rear/surround’ information in that input. Additionally, the Sonos Amp has a single pair of speaker posts. 

You could connect a Sonos Amp to a TV using HDMI ARC, and feed it a Dolby Digital signal. The Amp would then send a surround signal to a bonded pair of Sonos speakers, or another Sonos Amp, wirelessly. 

The surround sound can be obtained with a pair of Sonos Play 1 or  Era 100 beside the wired speakers and an active sub. This will create a 4.1 system.  No atmos but I'm hoping will be better than 2.1. I'm still not finding a CD transport can be powered by Amp or I need a DAC.  

As I said before, the Sonos analog line in is stereo only, and doesn’t accept a surround signal. To get surrounds involved, you’d need to use the HDMI-ARC input on the Amp, and feed it at least a Dolby Digital signal, so it could send surround data to bonded surround speakers. 

Any line level input, including one from a CD player, can be connected to the analog input on a Sonos Amp. 

I am really not sure I understand your post. A Sonos Amp doesn’t ’power a CD transport’, it accepts a signal. It also powers non-Sonos speakers via its speaker posts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Sonos Amp needs a Line level input signal. Does your CD transport provide this?