Answered

BBC radio intermittent

• 1 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I have a Sonos Connect connected to my hi fi amplifier. Unfortunately when I am listening to BBC radio it keeps cutting out.

I have now connected it to a wifi extender with an ethernet cable, but the problem is still there. I monitor the wifi extender which always has a good connection

to the main router. The signal from the extender is always strong (no problems with anything else connecting to it).

The only connection problem is the Sonos Connect and nearly always when listening to BBC radio. Is there a compatibility problem

with Sonos and BBC radio? Is my Sonos Connect defective? But why only with BBC radio?

I hope you know what’s wrong because this is extremely frustrating. I was looking forward to New Year concert from Vienna on BBC Radio 3

but is impossible to listen to with constant drop outs.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 2 January 2024, 14:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @pauljames,

From what you’ve explained, it sounds like a network issue. Wi-Fi extenders are unsupported network devices and using them with Sonos or having them on the same network as Sonos can cause intermittent audio issues and dropouts. I’d recommend checking our support article regarding the Sonos System Requirements for more information.

You could also be experiencing wireless interference as this can cause audio dropouts. Make sure your Sonos Connect is at least 0.5m to 1m away from other electronic devices as to prevent further dropouts.

If possible, I would suggest wiring the Sonos Connect, even if only temporarily, to see if that helps prevent dropouts. If so, then either keeping it wired or looking further into resolving network issues would be the next step.

I hope this information helps!

Badge +1

Hi Jamie. 

Thanks for the response. Why would the issue only affect BBC Sounds ?

Also if I reboot the Sonos Connect, It’s fine for ages (sometomes a week or so) then starts cutting out again. If it’s a poor newtork this does not make sense

Paul

Badge +1