Audio splitter for Amp - two sources into amp - connecting laptop and CD player

• 10 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

We have a Sonos amp that is primarily used for audio from a laptop, but occasionly from a CD player.

I’m looking for a switch that will work well with the amp so I don’t have to plug/unplug.  I want the amp to automatically play from either source.

I tried my old Netmate switch - but Amp wouldn’t pick up the signal from one channel of that switch (the CD player).  I tested the CD direct to Amp and that worked so it isn’t the cable.

I’m assuming the problem is with the switch, and that I’ll need a new one.

Can any recommend a switch that will work well with the Amp?

5 replies

You’re looking for an automatic switch? I’ve never seen one, but would assume a Google search might turn up some options to consider. All the ones I’ve ever seen are manual A/B switches. I’d have thought any ‘automated’ switch may be confused by a carrier wave from both devices, but I really have never looked in to them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Instead of a switch look at a mixer. That would let you have multiple inputs and play any (actually all) that are active.

I’d go for an active mixer as the passive ones can drop enough volume to be a problem.

Badge +1

I’m not looking for an automatic switch - a manual switch would be fine.

I’m just looking for recommendations for a switch, ideally by someone using it with Sonos Amp.

Userlevel 7

Hi

@Glamis

You might try something like this

Edit: Full disclosure...I don’t use such a device. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That should work.

Play with it a bit at low volume levels to make sure you don’t get a pop or thump when switching inputs. If you do be sure to lower the volume before switching.