Question

Audio dropouts with all Gen 2/3 vs mix including Gen 1.

• 14 October 2020
  • 3 replies

I’ve often had issues with audio dropouts where some speakers keep playing and others go silent for awhile. I know there are a lot of possible solves, but one question I’ve been wondering is if my older Play 1s might be the issue. I have a mix of speakers including Play 1, One, Arc, Move, Sub (Gen 2), and a Boost. I’ve wondered if upgrading the Play 1s to either a One (or SL) might improve reliability. Curious if others have noticed any material differences. Thx!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @MichaelCibula, Thank you for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue with your Sonos system. To further check the status of it, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

If you have other questions about your Sonos products, feel free to reach out.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Hi @MichaelCibula, Thank you for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue with your Sonos system. To further check the status of it, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

If you have other questions about your Sonos products, feel free to reach out.

Hey Simon, I appreciate you writing back. I’ve done lots of troubleshooting w CS and have had mixed results. I’m mainly curious if folks in the community have experience w mixed gen systems vs all latest gen systems and whether that makes any impact. If you can provide any color on that question I’d be interested to know if there’s anything w how Play 1s are built where they might not connect as consistently with more recent gen hardware.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @MichaelCibula, thanks for the update. About your questions on differences in the previous generation and latest generation products. Sub (Gen 3) brings the same iconic design and bold bass as Sub (Gen 2) with an increase in memory, processing power, and a more powerful wireless radio. Sub (Gen 1) was first released in 2012, with a minor refresh with Sub (Gen 2) in 2016. Now, about the Sonos Ones and Play 1’s. functionally and aesthetically they are identical.  (Gen 2) has a newer processor, increased memory, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), and a four-microphone array instead of six. The Sonos One sound mirrors that sound profile adds easy voice control and can be improved with software updates. In terms of connectivity. It should almost be of the same standards for Play 1 and the Sonos Ones. Sonos continuously upgrades the internals and the hardware of each product that is being released. Rest assured that all Sonos products undergo a strict and tedious quality check to ensure that customers get quality Sonos products. We can wait for feedback from other Sonos community users based on their experience with the products in terms of connectivity and sound quality for each product.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please, don’t hesitate to let me know.