ASUS Router firmware update 2020/11/26

• 3 December 2020
  • 71 replies

Show first post

71 replies

Today i finally took the time to dive into this problem. I had the exact same problems as TS with my Sonos Beam and Asus RT-AX58U. Just as everybody did, i'd reset all stuff without any luck. Thanks to this topic i ended up with a working solution and i am happy to share it with the rest of you. Hopefully it helps!

What i did is manually upload the latest BETA release of the Asus RT-AX58U 9.0.0.4.386_41994 found here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

After update it wasn't working for 100%. It seemed little buggy, the golden tip here was from user @j_a_kjellberg:

So started fiddling with wifi settings i hadnt touched before. I did a toggle enable(default) ->disable->enable on IGMP Snooping.

I did this for 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band and after this change it all seems working as before the Asus update 3.0.0.4.386.41700 Just to confirm, i "toggled” the IGMP setting from enabled to disabled (causes a restart of the WLAN service) and than back from disabled to enabled for both bands.

Thanks all for the help! 

My conclusion was to soon. It seems that a few hours later Sonos start dropping again. So i now downgraded to version 3.0.0.4.384_10177 which is prior to when the problem started. Hopefully this will keep working (if not i will let you guys know) and with the next Asus or Sonos update the problem will be resolved. It worked flawles almost a year so i know it is possible ;-)

Hello guys,

FYI, I had the same issue with latest Asus Firmware (3.0.0.4.386_41793-gdb31cdc) on my ZenWifi XT8. I tried to downgrade my XT8 to previous version but I lost internet connectivity for some reasons (the router was connected and had access to internet but not the clients). So I went back to 3.0.0.4.386_41793-gdb31cdc and restored internet connectivity instantly.

I think I fixed my Sonos issue by removing all the Sonos products from the DHCP reserved addresses. I can now play Spotify music.

Hope it helps

EDIT : I’m using Smart Connect and it works anyways

ERRATUM : it has been working for a while but not anymore. I spent a lot of time with Sonos support. They made me do a wireless configuration reset for nothing of course.

I tried disabling Smart Connect on my router, it seems to work but I’m not very happy with having many SSIDs.

So at the end I decided to switch to a wired system. No more problem obviously...

Thank you @flat3ric for sharing this information!

I’ve had problems over the last 2 weeks since updating my ASUS RT-AX58U to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10177. No matter what changes I made to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz setings, it wouldn’t allow my Sonos system to remain connected. Somehow it only affected my Beam+Sub+Surround setup and not my standalone Sonos One.

Once I reverted to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9918, all the problems went away!

For other ASUS users, you can manually download the firmware versions for RT-AX58U here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/AiMesh-WiFi-Routers-and-Systems/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I just wanted to say many thanks for this.  Thought i was going mad this afternoon trying to set up a new ASUS RT-AX58U with my existing Sonos (that had no issues with the RT-AC68U previously.  Downgraded the firmware and everything connected without issue….  Thank you.

Just dropping in to say the roll back firmware fix worked for me and my system. I have an Asus RT-AX58U, Sonos Play:5 and Sonos One (used mainly with Spotify). Was previously using the latest firmware update (Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994). Rolled back manually to Version 3.0.0.4.384.9918 and everything works again. No more dropping out or connectivity issues. Thank you!

I had the exact problem after upgrading my AX88 to latest firmware.

The solution for me was to toggle the Airtime Fairness feature, first set it to enable for both 2,4 and 5 GHz. Apply and let it restart WiFi.

Then disable Airtime Fairness for both 2,4 and 5 GHz again, apply to restart WiFi.

You find this setting in the router web under wireless and then the professional tab.

I assume it is a bug in the update not writing the correct value here after the upgrade, and explicitly toggle through it will store it again properly.

New version released for the AX58U (3.0.0.4.386.42095), any brave soul that will give it a try?

New version released for the AX58U (3.0.0.4.386.42095), any brave soul that will give it a try?

For AX82U, I just tried the current firmware as well as the most recent beta, and still the same problem. 

Rolled back to 3.0.0.4.384_9948 and everything is working again.

Badge

I have the AX86U, using the beta firmware 9.0.0.4.386.41994. For me to get things to work I have to turn off the guest network and the 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode for both 2.4 and 5 ghz.  I tried enabling/disabling the  Airtime Fairness feature and disabling/enabling IGMP Snooping as mentioned in previous posts but neither seemed to work for me.  I’ve been working with Asus since the 3.0.0.4.386.41535 version broke Sonos.  I also can’t keep my Google Nest Home/Mini on the network … but I think that’s another issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, I just want to inform others that the latest firmware for ASUS RT-AX58U, released on the 26th of
November, will make the Sonos speakers stop working (Confirmed on Play:1 and Play3).

I have tried to factory reset the speakers and reconfigure them but without success.
I don’t exactly know what is causing this, but a roll back to previous firmware resolved the issue. 

Thanks so much for your post! I just got this exact router at Best Buy last weekend and was starting to lose my mind with the connectivity issues with our Arc and One. Had I not found this, I would have probably ended up returning the router.

Hopefully ASUS addresses this soon with a new firmware. I will drop them a message too through Customer Support.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks so much for your post! I just got this exact router at Best Buy last weekend and was starting to lose my mind with the connectivity issues with our Arc and One. Had I not found this, I would have probably ended up returning the router.

Hopefully ASUS addresses this soon with a new firmware. I will drop them a message too through Customer Support.

Thanks!

Frankly I think you should return the router while you can. Asus have illustrated an inability to fix their products that does not inspire any confidence.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks!

Frankly I think you should return the router while you can. Asus have illustrated an inability to fix their products that does not inspire any confidence.

Thanks for the candid answer. What router or mesh system would you recommend that supports wifi 6 and be fully compatible with Sonos?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the candid answer. What router or mesh system would you recommend that supports wifi 6 and be fully compatible with Sonos?

I use AmpliFi devices in my homes which run a total of four Sonos households. I believe their latest model supports WiFi 6 but that’s not something I need myself.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I use AmpliFi devices in my homes which run a total of four Sonos households. I believe their latest model supports WiFi 6 but that’s not something I need myself.

Thanks for your answer. On second thought, a mesh wifi would definitely be overkill for our current home. I am giving the Archer AX50 router a try. It is arriving tomorrow. I will report back here for the community. If all good, I will return the Asus router.

FWIW, having the same problem with the latest firmware ( Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095 2021/03/09) and a Sonos Play:1. Downgrading to 3.0.0.4.384.9918 was the only thing that worked. Obviously super worrisome, since there were a number of CVEs fixed in later firmware versions.

Steps I tried (but didn’t work):

• Toggling IGMP snooping (ending up at disabled)
  • Toggling Airtime fairness for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (ending up at disabled)

Interestingly, after toggling the airtime fairness setting the Sonos Play:1 worked for 30 seconds before disconnecting again, and remaining disconnected..

Have you contacted Asus to find out why almost every other manufacturer out there isn’t having the same issue as Asus with Sonos?

Have you contacted Asus to find out why almost every other manufacturer out there isn’t having the same issue as Asus with Sonos?

Yes I did. Here was the response:

I understand that your Sonos Play 1 cannot connect to the router after the firmware update. I know how important it is for you to fix the issue and I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Let me help you resolve this problem.

I appreciate your time and effort in troubleshooting the issue. Based on the issue you described, please perform the troubleshooting steps as follows.

A. May disable the smart connect feature for selected models (GT-AC5300, RT-AC5300, RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3200) 

B. 2.4GHz connection issues: 
1. Change wireless mode to 'Legacy' (Wireless -> General -> Band = 2.4GHz) 
2. Change channel bandwidth to '40 MHz' (Wireless -> General -> Band = 2.4GHz) 
3. Change control channel to 1, 6, or 11 (Wireless -> General -> Band = 2.4GHz) (l = lower band, u = upper band) 
4. Wireless -> Professional -> 2.4GHz -> disable Explicit beamforming and Universal Beamforming 

C. 5GHz connection issues: 
1. Wireless -> General -> 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2 -> Select 'Legacy', 'N only' or 'N/AC mixed' in Wireless Mode 
2. Change channel bandwidth to '40 MHz' (Wireless -> General -> Band = 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2) 
3. Wireless -> Professional -> 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2 -> disable Explicit beamforming and Universal Beamforming 

D. Please downgrade to previous firmware version to check if the same problems still persist.

Then disable Airtime Fairness for both 2,4 and 5 GHz again, apply to restart the router.

If the issue persists, please fill out the feedback form that I have attached in this email for us to be able to replicate and diagnose what is causing this issue for us to come up with a resolution on how we can get this issue resolved.

The files like system log, wireless log and configuration file will help us in replicating the issue with your router. 
To get the setting file: 
step1. login router go to Administration->System->Change the router login name to ... then proceed to step 2. 
step2. Administration -> Restore/Save/Upload setting, and you will find the 【save setting】 
step3. click button【save】 

And provide to us the CGF file that will be saved. 

To get the system log 
step1. login router 
step2. System Log -> General log, you will find【save】button here 
step3. click button【save】

There’s at least one thing in that response I’d take issue to.

The setting of the channel bandwidth to 40 Mhz is odd, at least to my understanding, and offers increased opportunity for interference.

But then again, I’m not a networking expert, so I’ll leave that for others to dissect. 

It does seem like a form letter, not specific to Sonos, but there is some valid suggestions, I think, in it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for your answer. On second thought, a mesh wifi would definitely be overkill for our current home. I am giving the Archer AX50 router a try. It is arriving tomorrow. I will report back here for the community. If all good, I will return the Asus router.

As promised, here’s a follow-up to my situation.

I received the TP-Link Archer AX50 today. After initial set up and firmware upgrade to the latest version, all my Sonos speakers are working flawlessly. My Wifi speeds may actually be a bit faster than with the Asus router as well so that’s pretty cool. I am returning Asus to Best Buy tomorrow.

Userlevel 1
Badge

As promised, here’s a follow-up to my situation.

I received the TP-Link Archer AX50 today. After initial set up and firmware upgrade to the latest version, all my Sonos speakers are working flawlessly. My Wifi speeds may actually be a bit faster than with the Asus router as well so that’s pretty cool. I am returning Asus to Best Buy tomorrow.

Well, I guess I may have spoken too fast. This router seems to have its set of issues too. Sigh. The wifi speed is extremely inconsistent, dropping as low as 10mbps for seconds at a time. The Asus on the other hand has been rock solid so far. A quick google search indicates this is a common issue with this TP-Link model, along with overheating problems after days/weeks of use.

So for anybody else looking for another option, this may not be it… 

Userlevel 1
Badge

One more, and hopefully final update to the firmware update issue on the Asus router…

Following the thread here, I was actually able to update to the latest firmware and Sonos has been working since! Another user on that thread confirmed that worked for him/her.

This link by Asus outlines the procedure to upgrade the firmware. A factory reset must be performed after the update.

Hopefully this helps the Sonos community here.

I can confirm the solution above works. 

But you have to do the factory reset!

Maurits

Badge

These steps have disappeared from the internet now.  Can you recall them?

It would be handy to try this for my Asus RT-AX55, which is also having issues when playing from grouped speakers.

I had the same issue with my sonos and Asus ZenWifi AX.

To fix the issue I did a factory reset, turned off the 2 extra nodes, reset up the main router then added the two extra nodes one at a time. 

5 days no issues.