ANYONE GOING TO FIX THE HACK VULNERABILITY ?

• 6 September 2022
  • 33 replies

Badge +1

I have 3 sonos one's that are vulnerable to an music hack app and customer care offers zero support or relief. These speakers are trash and at this point want a refund! It doesn't happen with sonos roam. Only the trash speakers. Even bought an sonos boost. Useless. I am livid!! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

This is primarily a user community, though Sonos staff oversee it. 

I’m not sure any of us have a clue what you mean, unless it’s perhaps related to Spotify Connect?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I have 3 sonos one's that are vulnerable to an music hack app and customer care offers zero support or relief. These speakers are trash and at this point want a refund! It doesn't happen with sonos roam. Only the trash speakers. Even bought an sonos boost. Useless. I am livid!! 

What “music hack”? Why is the Roam different?

Your speakers want a refund?  How much are they paying you?

Yes, I am curious to know why the Roam is not affected by whatever this ‘hack’ is?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I tried searching for anything new on Sonos hacks and came up empty.

What is the hack?

Where is it disclosed / discussed?

If this is a Spotify issue, here is the way to deal with it.

Troll.

Troll.

Who joined on Aug 29, 2019?

That would be what I’d call “forward planning”.

Badge +17

I’ve reached out to the OP to find out more about this, though I suspect it’s as others have suggested; an unbroken Spotify Connect session.

Edit: the OP has a case open with our engineers to explore what’s happening to their system. It does not appear to be a vulnerability within the Sonos system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I had a random song play on my Move from Spotify a week ago, all my family were in bed including me!. 11.55pm

The song was by an artist I'd never even heard of.

Did wonder at the time if someone could access my speakers via Spotify 🤔. 

Only if they’d been “in” your wifi before, and connected...and nothing was played from another source after that. 

When you connect to another streaming service, it “breaks” all previous connections via Spotify Connect, which can’t be re-established until they’re within your wifi network again. 

Badge +1

It has NOTHING to do with My internet connection, Spotify or ANYTHING ELSE BUT THE SONOS SYSTEM! IT'S VULNERABLE TO HACKS PERIOD!!! They need to secure their speakers AND their app. It happened again friday afternoon while using roam. Music completely changed and I didn't do it. Sonos system is vulnerable. 

I know what I am talking about! 

Yes, I DO have an appointment with SONOS tech AND My internet company is anxious to hear what they come up with AND work with SONOS to close this HACK gap. If SONOS can't fix this they need to take their equipment back and offer full refund for 3 speakers,  one roam, and one boost! 

I am not happy. Years of this mess.

I have  changed internet companies,  wifi secured, changed passwords,  reinstalled apps, etc. So IT IS A SONOS PROBLEM! It happens no matter what I am using. Even using SONOS radio!!! I am pretty upset.  Sonos needs to upgrade their system to block hacks. 

Badge +1

Troll.

I AM NOT A TROLL JOHN!!

Badge +1

Troll.

Who joined on Aug 29, 2019?

That would be what I’d call “forward planning”.

Lol. Hi Ratty. You've tried to help before and I followed your suggestions to no avail.

I AM NOT A TROLL JOHN!!

Then cite a source for this alleged hack, please.

Badge +1

If this is a Spotify issue, here is the way to deal with it.

Will check it out. Thanks,  but it's more than just spotify.

Badge +1

I AM NOT A TROLL JOHN!!

Be quiet if you don't have anything helpful to add please!!

Badge +1

I think it's a jukebox hacking app. There's an app that can change music. I use to use one Myself back in the day and they work. This is what I think is happening here and Sonos needs to come up with software that blocks these kinds of apps.

I AM NOT A TROLL JOHN!!

I would find a source about this alleged hack to be very useful !!!!!!!!

I think it's a jukebox hacking app. There's an app that can change music. 

On your local network? Anyone on your network can change the music. Keep unwelcome actors off the network.   

@Aboriginalbabe

I would change your WiFi SSID/password(s) and router login credentials, at the very least …and maybe do that at the earliest opportunity. That’s certainly the first steps I would do.

Badge +1

I AM NOT A TROLL JOHN!!

I would find a source about this alleged hack to be very useful !!!!!!!!

That is what I am hoping sonos can trace. 

Badge +1

I think it's a jukebox hacking app. There's an app that can change music. 

On your local network? Anyone on your network can change the music. Keep unwelcome actors off the network.   

There is no one on My network. I have gone over this a dozen times with service provider. Even changed passwords.  It's ridiculous now.

Badge +1

@Aboriginalbabe

I would change your WiFi SSID/password(s) and router login credentials, at the very least …and maybe do that at the earliest opportunity. That’s certainly the first steps I would do.

Done that several times. Changed to xfinity due to their supposed protection. Still happening.  It's an Sonos internal vulnerability at this point. This has been going on for years and I have tried EVERYTHING.  But you know what? Going to call Xfinity one more time and go through the gateway settings..

@Aboriginalbabe

Done that several times. Changed to xfinity due to their supposed protection. Still happening.  It's an Sonos internal vulnerability at this point. This has been going on for years and I have tried EVERYTHING. 

Are you the only one affected🤔?