Answered

Any way to automatically mute a Port when a grouped Beam is muted (via tv remote)?

• 27 December 2023
  • 3 replies

My parents have an older B&O sound system with multiple speakers, sub, etc. (don’t judge - it came with the apartment they bought a while ago). Originally there was a B&O television as well and the whole system was fairly well integrated. A couple of years later the TV broke and they had it replaced with a Sony TV. The installer used a Sonos Port which in turn was connected to a TOSlink-to-RCA converter to connect to the TV which kind of worked, but the sound relayed through it had a noticeable delay (mostly due to the TOSlink-to-RCA conversion I assume). 

A while later I bought them a Sonos Beam which is now their main TV speaker. The Port can be grouped with the beam and now the sound through the Port is not suffering from delays. However, when they click “Mute” on their remote both the TV and the Beam mute themselves, but the Port does not and sound continues to play through the B&O system (which the Port is connected to)

So:

• Is there any way to automatically mute the Port together with the Beam when they are grouped together? 
  • And, is it possible to “force team” the Beam and the Port together *at all times*?

Reason for the second question is that while I know how to group/ungroup Sonos speakers, and have explained how to my parents, it is simply not a thing they are comfortable with and inevitably they forget and then they call me to complain things aren’t working again 😅  The Port (and the Beam) are exclusively used to play the TV sound so there is never any reason for them to be ungrouped. 

Thanks for any help!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 27 December 2023, 17:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

It is not possible to mute the Port together with the Beam using the TV remote.

You cannot keep the Port and Beam permanently grouped but disabling the Ungroup on Autoplay feature under the Beam’s settings could help minimize the number of times the Port becomes ungrouped with the Beam.

I assume you have switched off ‘ungroup on autoplay’ to stop the Port ungrouping from the Beam? That said when the devices update, reboot, or are powered off, the group will likely break-apart. 

Anyhow my thoughts are to install Sonos voice control on the TV Beam, as that may solve all the issues here.

Asking SVC to mute the Beam/Group will cause all devices to mute .. eg: "Hey Sonos, mute (or unmute) the Lounge Group” — just as an example.

Also, if the Port becomes ungrouped from the Beam, then SVC can group (or ungroup) the two ‘rooms’ .. eg: ”Hey Sonos, Group the Port (room) with Lounge” — as an example, but obviously use the names that are shown in the Sonos app for the two ‘rooms’.

SVC can be used for other things too, such as reminders or even to power on/off the TV, that’s if the connection to the TV is via HDMI-ARC/eARC (CEC control).

Anyhow, I hope those suggestions will assist.

Thanks for the suggestions! To confirm: yes, “Ungroup on Autoplay” is turned off. Not sure if my parents are up for starting to talk to their A/V systems 😅 but I’ll give it a shot when I’m at their place next!