Skip to main content

I’m having some volume issues... or maybe not? Is it wrong to expect the playback volume of my turntable to be the same as streaming audio when switching between them? When I go from streaming a song to then playing something on my turntable there’s a noticeable drop in volume. I’ve tested this by playing the same song / artist to ensure parity.  

I see a few posts here about audio being too quiet and some not playing at all, this isn’t that issue - the audio is decent through the Line-In, it just isn’t consistent with streaming playback. 

I have a Technics SL1210 turntable going into a Pro-Ject Phono Box E pre-amp, going into a Sonos Amp which broadcasts to a Sonos One and Play:One speaker. 

My app settings are as follows:

Line-In Source Level: 5 (has been 10, see below)

Autoplay: On

Audio Delay: 2000ms

Use Autoplay Volume: off

Audio Compression: Compressed

While the turntable is playing I have changed the Line-In Source Level between 2, 5, 8 and 10, you can hear an obvious volume difference the higher the level albeit this is also fairly nominal, it’s not like you’re turning the volume slider up and down considerably. In fact after having it on 10, leaving it a little and coming back to play something later I noticed an obvious distortion in the playback. Altering the Source Level settings in the app wasn’t fixing it to I had to power the system off and back on for the change to take effect. 

Any thoughts or recommendations I’m open to hearing it - I’d love to get the volume consistent between the two playback options. Or should I not be expecting that? I hope not given the investment in the system. It feels Sonos is sophisticated enough to get this right. 

Side note: I was having issues with Autoplay a few weeks ago, from the initial setup of the Amp the Autoplay never worked. I did a fair bit of searching on here and Reddit but couldn’t solve the issue. A few Sonos chat exchanges lead to email exchanges, lead to videos of me showing the problem, tests with alternate line-in devices and more. Eventually I was asked to call to go through it in real-time on the phone, after being on hold for significantly long periods I was asked to take the Line-In Source Level down from 10 to 2, close the app and try the turntable. This solved the issue! The Autoplay began working - we went up a level incrementally to 5 and it continued to work. I’ve since done this all the way to 10 and sure enough the Autoplay has continued to work (aside from the recent experience of distortion). 

Hi @Royaloak

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for providing us a detailed post describing your concern. We appreciate all your effort in resolving the issue. Let me help you out. 

It seems that after the steps provided by our support team, adjusting the line-in settings, the audio issue was not resolved when you switch from line-in to streaming music to your Sonos Amp.

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you.

1. Power cycle your Sonos Amp
    • Unplug all the devices connected to your Sonos Amp.
    • Unplug your Sonos Amp from the power
    • Wait for 60 seconds before you plug it back into power.
    • Reconnect all the devices back to your Sonos Amp.
    • Test music playback
  2. Ungroup your Sonos speakers
    • Test music playback on your Sonos Amp
  3. Try connecting another music source to your Sonos Amp to test if you will experience the same.

If you're still having the same issue, It would be best to contact our phone support team to help you out. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue.

Let us know if you need help with any other information, we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Any thoughts or recommendations I’m open to hearing it - I’d love to get the volume consistent between the two playback options. Or should I not be expecting that?

You should not; all you can do is reduce the difference to the extent increasing the line in level allows you to.

Sonos will have to make hardware changes to eliminate this difference, but don’t hold your breath.

At least this isn't as inconvenient as it is for mixed source playlists, or even songs streamed from Spotify - an even more inconvenient issue that has not been addressed till now, and even though this does not need hardware changes.