Answered

AirPlay issue: Unable to connect to Sonos Beam

• 20 December 2022
  • 6 replies

I have a Sonos Beam connected via ethernet and a Symfonisk Lamp connected via WiFi.

I always used the Airplay share from Apple Music to play on my system and until now it has worked quite reliably. But a few days ago, my Beam stopped working, it says ”Unable to connect to Sonos Beam” when I try to start AirPlay. The Symfonisk Lamp still works and also when I try to start music from the Sonos app, everything works fine.

The things I tried:

• Remove the ethernet from the Beam and try to connect via WiFi
  • Turn off and on bluetooth, WiFi, airplane mode
  • Restart everything: speakers, router, iPhone
  • Start to play from a different device: I tried from an iPad and a Mac, but the same result

All my software is on the latest update.

Any idea what else I could do?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 December 2022, 11:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I’d try a reboot of your router, certainly, although you state you have. Make sure the Sonos devices are powered down while you reboot the router, too. Give the router a couple of minutes to reboot before plugging back in the Sonos devices. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @sdavid 

This may go some way to explain:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/12/21/apple-pulls-new-home-app-architecture-in-ios-16-2-as-users-complain-about-homekit-issues/

Although we rarely recommend factory resetting Sonos devices, in this case we have received reports from users that it will help - as long as you don’t then add the unit to (new) HomeKit afterwards.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Airgetlam: I already tried to restart all of my related devices at the same time, but unfortunately, that did not help.

Corry P: The factory reset solved the problem, I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @sdavid 

Glad to be of help!

Corry P: The factory reset solved the problem, I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

It’s usually best not to think of it.

Unfortunately, the error occurred again.
I haven't tried to reset it since, but I don't think this would be a permanent solution.
Is this likely to be an Apple-side error and only an iOS update is a long-term solution?

I’d think so, unfortunately. I’ve not seen any mention of a permanent solution yet on any of the various Apple News sites, but I suspect the level of effort made by any company’s staff over the holidays was minimal.