Answered

AirPlay 2 problem

• 9 December 2020
  • 19 replies

I have a Sonos Move that I have been using with Aiplay 2 via my iMac for several months with no issues. Yesterday it stopped connecting or playing via Airplay. It shows up in the Airplay menu, with a checkmark, but no sound comes through the move. Other Airplay devices, Homepods, are working. I can connect via Bluetooth with my phone and that works fine. I have reset as new, updated firmware, reconnected to the WiFi network, but it still won’t play.

icon

Best answer by TBW-NYKS 9 February 2021, 21:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @gkolanowski.

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

To better understand what’s going on, kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system,  it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi Annazel. I just submitted a diagnostic report. The confirmation # is 1538530650

Please let me know if you can find a cause or solution for the issue.

Thanks!

I just checked three other Macs. The Move will play via AirPlay from an iMac using OS 10.12.6 Sierra and iTunes, but will not work with my main iMac using 10.14.6 Mojave and iTunes, or another iMac and a Macbook using 10.15.7 Catalina and the Music app. The Move shows up in the Airplay list, but the checkmark changes to a - (minus) when I try to check it. It previously worked fine with the iMac using Mojave and iTunes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gkolanowski.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, no issues found on the system but I see that the Sonos AirPlay metadata was rejected.

Please check this Apple article where you can identify the devices you can stream video from:

If you have any questions,  feel free to reach out.

Thanks. Not sure what that means about the metadata, but I am not streaming video, I am using iTunes to play music from my iMac. The system was working fine for a few months, then just suddendly got buggy. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gkolanowski.

Thanks for your immediate response.

I suggest checking for updates and ensure that the device(s) is updated to the latest software version.

May I know the iTunes version in use?

Devices you can stream audio from:

You may check this Apple support page for more details on AirPlay 2 system requirements.  If your device meets the requirements, but still having trouble using AirPlay, please see the suggested troubleshooting steps as well.

Let us know how that goes.

I’m having the same problem with my Sonos One speakers. I tried restarting them, my phone, and my router in every combination possible to no avail. I tried a factory reset this morning and that wasn’t successful either. The device connect to Spotify through the Spotify app but Apple Podcasts and other no -integrated sources don’t work. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as these have become very expensive paperweights over night. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @acscott89.

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

To better understand what’s going on, kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system,  it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

You may also check this Apple support page for more details on AirPlay 2 system requirements.  If your device meets the requirements, but still having trouble using AirPlay, please see the suggested troubleshooting steps as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Same issue here (play 5 2nd gen)

2053747161 diagnostic

I see the speaker but it just loads and loads and loads.

Used to work well but very intermittent now.  I’ll reboot everything and will be ok for a time or two.

Thanks,

D

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @TBW-NYKS.

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

Upon checking the diagnostic, an error indicating dropouts was detected on your system.

If all the recommended steps to reduce wireless interference were followed and it doesn’t help, then knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation to troubleshooting this successfully.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network?  It’s best if we can check any known issues or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have a wired connection to an ASUS RT-AX92U via a  switch.

I can normally connect to Sonos radio without a problem.  It is just when I try to connect via Airplay.

kind regards,

David

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @TBW-NYKS.

Thanks for your response.

You mentioned a ‘switch’, is that managed or unmanaged?

Have you tried directly connecting to the router and temporarily bypass the switch to see if it will work?

Another thing is, a known issue with ASUS RT routers is association failures wherein wireless controllers having trouble connecting to Sonos players, I can be wrong but there’s no harm in trying the suggested resolution:

1. Log into the ASUS router.
  2. Under Advanced Settings, click Wireless.
  3. Click the Professional tab.
  4. Disable Airtime Fairness and click Apply.
  5. Change the Frequency to 5GHz.
  6. Disable Airtime Fairness and click Apply.

Thanks for your help.  I didn’t manage to do what you suggested, as I couldn’t find it on the app and didn’t get round to logging on via computer.  However, I fixed the IP addresses assigned to Sonos and haven’t had a problem since.

Thanks again for your help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @TBW-NYKS.

Thanks for your response and for bringing up to us such good news.

It’s nice to know that the problem seems to be resolved now and we appreciate you sharing with us what you did to fix it. This can benefit those members that might experience the same problem and looking for answers here in the community.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Cheers!

Hi @TBW-NYKS. Can you explain how you fixed the IP addresses assigned to the Sonos? I don’t know where to find those settings. Thanks!

It actually depends on your router. Check the router’s manual for something like “reserved IP addresses” or “DHCP table”.

Ok, Airgetlam, but how do I know what the proper address should be? I am on an Eero WiFi system. I can see the IP addresses of all the devices connected. The address for the Sonos Move is different than the addresses for my HomePods. The HomePods work fine, each pair with different IP addresses.

There is no single ‘proper’ address. It’s just a matter of insuring that there are no address collisions caused by the router. When you define in the router’s DHCP table that address x is reserved for device y, then there should be no collisions. Unfortunately, there are cases where routers lose track of dynamically assigned addresses. Could be a power surge, could be a bug, who knows why. 

I frequently recommend a less invasive, but also less permanent solution, which ensures that each Sonos device gets a new IP address, along with several other benefits. You simply unplug all Sonos devices from power, and while they are unplugged, you reboot the router. Once the router comes back up, up you plug back in the Sonos devices.

It’s an easier thing to do, if you’re not router software familiar. And it should work until the next time the router has a ‘burp’ (which could be never again) and assigns a duplicate IP address when the Sonos requests a new IP address, such as when there is a Sonos software update. It also works in the short term while you have the time to read the router’s  manual, and can get comfortable with assigning IP addresses. 

Firstly my play 5 is connected via Ethanet, may not be the same for a wifi connection.

On the ASUS router app I went to settings /LAN/IP Binding

IP binding looks like it’s good for hubs / air printers etc. so thought it would be OK for my airplay compatible speakers.

I also had the option to bind the wifi connected products so may also work with wifi connected speakers.

Still working fine, touch wood.

D