Skip to main content

After Switching WiFi Router nothing worked, and then...

• 22 May 2022
  • 4 replies

So I swapped out my WiFi router with the new system using the exact same name/password as the old one, which is what I am always recommending. To my personal embarrassment I could get no speaker to work after this.

This is my small S2 system (One, 1, Bookshelf), but using the app to “fix up” the WiFi always failed immediately at the “attach your phone to the SONOS wifi network”.

On my PC I had to re-mark the new network as Private of course, but that didn’t help me.

I broke out the networking tools, and I could see from the DHCP table that none of the speakers were actually on the network at all.

I tried wiring one of them via Ethernet, and while that got the one speaker working, the app would not allow the WiFi creds to be changed this way (this used to work on S1 last I tried it).

Then I had a lightbulb moment: I powered cycled a speaker. it came up on the router DHCP list, and the Sonos apps could find it. I powered cycled the others, and it was all good.

TL;DR if swapping your WiFi router with one with the same name/pwd, just reboot your speakers to get them to reconnect.

Standard advice after a router swap is always a full powercycle of everything on the network. Even if the L2 credentials match, any retained IPs are likely to be in the wrong subnet, or if not there could well be a clash.

Standard advice after a router swap is always a full powercycle of everything on the network. Even if the L2 credentials match, any retained IPs are likely to be in the wrong subnet, or if not there could well be a clash.

Truth. I was over excited having just switched from piece-of-wet-string 5Mbps internet to fiber. Every other device (12 of them) were just fine though on the new router, but all 3 Sonos devices were not.

Sonos devices in station mode should re-request IP via DHCP when they reconnect at layer 2. OTOH SonosNet devices typically remain connected to their peers so won’t notice the router change.

So, has the Amplifi been replaced or does it remain, in bridge mode?

Sonos devices in station mode should re-request IP via DHCP when they reconnect at layer 2. OTOH SonosNet devices typically remain connected to their peers so won’t notice the router change.

So, has the Amplifi been replaced or does it remain, in bridge mode?

The Amplfi Instant (+1 for mesh) was replaced with an Amplifi HD and the two instants reset and Ethernet backhauled to that.

The previous day the ISP router was changed over, but that was invisible to the Amplifi (and Sonos) as I double NAT through it (PPPoE is too much of a challenge for my Spanish skills).

This system uses WiFi, none are wired and no Boost so no SonosNet.