Skip to main content
Question

Access to location in iOS not working

• 2 November 2020
  • 6 replies

I am trying to add a new Sonos one.  Never had a problem before but now my App has a message saying "Sonos needs Location access to search for nearby products".  

Underneath there is a button saying “Allow Location access” but when I tap it nothing happens.

There is another button saying “more information”, and when I click on that it seems to suggest it is something from IOS13 onwards about location access.  The message helpfully provides the steps to do sort this out, but when I go to IOS settings, there is no option there for location.  Just Bluetooth, Local Network, Siri, notifications Background app refresh and mobile data.  

When I go to privacy and location services in IOS settings, Sonos does not appear in the list so I do not seem to have any way of providing location access and therefore adding the speaker.  I have tried resetting the App and deleting it and re-installing but always get to the same screen.

Any help on how to sort this would be gratefully appreciated so that I can add the new Sonos to the network.  

Thanks

Hi @SteveC2402, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Sonos community. We really appreciate your time and effort in bringing this concern to us. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

• Have you tried force closing the Sonos app and re-open it? 
  • Did you try to reset the Sonos app from your iOS device? In the Sonos app > Settings > App Preferences > Reset App
  • Do you experience the same on other mobile devices?

If you have performed the steps above and you're still having the same issue, please proceed to the next troubleshooting steps:

1. Uninstall the Sonos app from your iOS device.
2. Check for iOS software updates. 
3. Turn off and on your iOS device.
4. Install the Sonos app from the App store.
5. Open the Sonos app and connect to your existing system.

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. We'll wait for your reply.

Came to report the same issue. I am trying to add symfonisk, but there is no option for location services in the privacy section of iOS settings. I tried all the above suggestions mentioned but no resolution yet.

After couple of iPhone reboots it worked. 

“Did you turn it off and on again” Roy

Hi @cruisezero, thank you fo reaching to the Sonos Community and for letting us know about your concern. I'm glad you were able to turn on location services on your iOS device. 
If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Thanks @Rowena B. I’ve done all of those steps and thankfully it is now working again.  This time when I clicked the “allow location access” button when trying to add a new product it came up with the option to allow location whilst using the app, so all good.

As requested I submitted a diagnostic report which is no. 1307202705

Thank you very much for you help and your prompt response.

Hi @SteveC2402, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. I'm glad that the app is working now.

Based on the diagnostic, there's interference in your wireless network that may be caused by wireless congestion or low wireless range. Please check out this article to reduce wireless interference. Here’s a helpful video about it. 

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.