3rd party subs

I am curious why Sonos does not provide a device to integrate a 3rd party sub as a subwoofer only.  That would provide significant options for end users.

It is true that Sonos can integrate a 3rd party sub as part of integrating 3rd party mains, but that will not integrate with a Sonos sound bar, only a Sonos Sub can.

Ideally, a device to do this would only provide a preamp output for the sub, but it could be as simple as a configuration option for an AMP where only the sub is used.  Users could then add their sub to a Sonos soundbar without grouping in mains as well, with the potential problems that arise from that. Could be as simple as a software update.  How about it, Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Sonos provides support for third-party Subs, as outlined here…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-a-third-party-subwoofer-with-amp-or-connect-amp

For anything else you will need to purchase the Sonos Sub, or Sub-Mini.

I cannot envisage Sonos changing this policy, as it will only help to deplete sales of their own Sub products.

Personally speaking their Sub and Sub-Mini are great products anyway for their price and even better when they are included in one of their Sales at sonos.com etc.

Sonos sometimes offer refurbished Subs too, at a reduce cost, but with the same manufacturers guarantee …and there are options to also extend the warranty period for ‘peace of mind’.

Yes, I summarized the information from that link, it provides nothing additional.  Sonos sees fit to support 3rd party subs as part of a stereo mains but not as a standalone sub.  Makes NO sense.

And yes, it may “deplete” the sale of one product, but generate the sale of another.  The Amp is $700, is that enough profit to offset the loss of a sale of a Sub or Sub mini?

You seem entirely focused on price, Ken.  It’s not about being cheap, it’s about there being an entire world of subwoofers available.  The Sonos Subs are fine products for what they are, they do not compete in a lot of ways with other products.  The Sonos Sub is quite expensive for its diminutive size, but aside from the cost there is no way to go larger.  Sub output is proportional to size and power, Sonos only offers small subs.

Yes, I summarized the information from that link, it provides nothing additional.  Sonos sees fit to support 3rd party subs as part of a stereo mains but not as a standalone sub.  Makes NO sense.

To be clear, you’re only asking for 3rd party sub option for soundbars (Arc, Beam, Ray) and not for Sonos other speakers that are compatiable with the Sonos sub and sub mini (Fives, Era 300, Era 100) and future speakers?

And yes, it may “deplete” the sale of one product, but generate the sale of another.  The Amp is $700, is that enough profit to offset the loss of a sale of a Sub or Sub mini?

Not a good example since the Amp does allow 3rd party sub.  Regardless, it’s not a matter of ‘enough profit’ as any business would look to maximize profit.   We don’t know the profit margin on the sounbars or subs, nor how many sales are lost because the soudbar doesn’t have sub output, so it’s not a question we can answer.

edit - I see your intention was to say that Sonos should allow connecting an amp + 3rd party sub to a home theatre setup instead of just buying a sub.  That really seems like not a great idea cost wise for the majority of consumers.

You seem entirely focused on price, Ken.  It’s not about being cheap, it’s about there being an entire world of subwoofers available.  The Sonos Subs are fine products for what they are, they do not compete in a lot of ways with other products.  The Sonos Sub is quite expensive for its diminutive size, but aside from the cost there is no way to go larger.  Sub output is proportional to size and power, Sonos only offers small subs.

FYI, you can use 2 Sonos sub with the soudbars.  Also, if your reason is that the subs don’t provide enough bass, not cost, I am surprised that you’re ok with using a sounbar at all, since that’s clearly a compromise on stereo separation and incapable of putting out audio volume on par with more than what 2 Sonos subs would do.   I get that you are an exception perhaps in what sort of system you’re looking for, but Sonos isn’t looking to cater to the exceptions.

To be clear, I don’t personally care whether the Sonos offers this option or not.  You asked the question on a community forum, so you’re getting answers from the community.

“To be clear, you’re only asking for 3rd party sub option for soundbars (Arc, Beam, Ray) and not for Sonos other speakers that are compatiable with the Sonos sub and sub mini (Fives, Era 300, Era 100) and future speakers?”

No, I am suggesting the ability to add a 3rd party sub as a “sub” device in the Sonos system, wherever a sub could be used.  An adapter like an Amp but only offering sub functions.

“Not a good example since the Amp does allow 3rd party sub.”

Except not for the usage I am talking about, and the comparison was used to offset the claim that there was a loss of sales of $500-900 subs that would be offset by the sale of a $700 adapter.  It was a specious argument.

“...so it’s not a question we can answer.”

Well, it’s your question, not mine.  And a sale of an adapter is more than a sale of nothing, especially when the decision could be not adopting any Sonos system at all.

“That really seems like not a great idea cost wise for the majority of consumers.”

It’s not a matter of cost.  There are many subs with different capabilities, most of which Sonos Subs do not compete.  The Amp at $700 is a poor solution for the customer (for a sub) but an easy solution for Sonos.

“FYI, you can use 2 Sonos sub with the soudbars.”

Two small subs at $900 each is a poor solution.

“I am surprised that you’re ok with using a sounbar at all, since that’s clearly a compromise on stereo separation and incapable of putting out audio volume on par with more than what 2 Sonos subs would do.”

That’s your straw man, I have said nothing one way or another on the topic.  This is about flexibility in configurations.  Sonos offers no way to get center channel other than a soundbar, but that’s a separate topic.  And I don’t agree with your “output” comment either.

“I get that you are an exception perhaps in what sort of system you’re looking for, but Sonos isn’t looking to cater to the exceptions.”

I’ve said nothing of what I am “looking for” and are you a spokesman for Sonos?

“You asked the question on a community forum, so you’re getting answers from the community.”

And so far the community answers read like paid comments in defense of Sonos.  The feature I’m talking about could literally be a software addition to an existing product, yet all I get in response is how terrible the idea is and how questionable my interests.

Sonos recognizes the value in providing adapters to their ecosystem because they offer them.  They do not offer enough and this is one glaring example that would be easy for them to address.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It’s certainly not a feature I would use. 

Sonos has always been keen to balance their amp electronics to the speakers themselves to ensure sonic compatibility, so opening up their products to potentially unsuitable third party products is counter-intuitive. 

Maybe it comes down to: if you don’t like the Sonos sound, buy something different. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I don’t think this is about liking the Sonos sound or not and tbh don’t understand the negativity. 

I have no idea whether it’s a good idea for Sonos, I don’t work for them. 

But imo this would be a good option for owners, additional flexibility is not a bad thing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I don’t think this is about liking the Sonos sound or not and tbh don’t understand the negativity. 

But imo this would be a good option for owners, additional flexibility is not a bad thing. 

Because my opinion is different to yours you call it “negativity”? All I did was express my views in response to the topic posted.
If you see that as negativity, so be it. 

You do realize that OP specifically asked why this isn’t a feature?  How is hard to understand that OP got answers to the question asked?  OP doesn’t like the answers he got.  Oh well.  Seems more like he’s looking for a fight than actual answers.

As I said before, I don’t care if Sonos does this or not, but I am not at all surprised that Sonos doesn’t offer using the Sonos Amp as a $700 sub adapter.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Because my opinion is different to yours you call it “negativity”? All I did was express my views in response to the topic posted.

I mean three posters posted negative responses. I never said don’t express your views, just that I don’t understand them. No need to get defensive or have hurt feelings. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You do realize that OP specifically asked why this isn’t a feature?  How is hard to understand that OP got answers to the question asked?  OP doesn’t like the answers he got.  Oh well.  Seems more like he’s looking for a fight than actual answers.

As I said before, I don’t care if Sonos does this or not, but I am not at all surprised that Sonos doesn’t offer using the Sonos Amp as a $700 sub adapter.

I said I’m surprised at the negativity to the idea. I think it’s a good idea. There is no need to  imply im having a hard time understanding. 

...and tbh don’t understand the negativity. 

There is no need to  imply im having a hard time understanding. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I said I’m surprised at the negativity to the idea. I think it’s a good idea. There is no need to  imply im having a hard time understanding. 

You really don’t like us having a different opinion, do you? You interpret it as “negativity” rather than what it is: three community members simply having - and expressing - their views. 

🤣

LOL, you mischaracterized my original post.  I mentioned no feature, I was speaking of offering a specific product similar to, and complementary to, their existing products to improve flexibility.

And I didn’t get “answers”, I got hostile, pro-Sonos opinions that look more like astroturfing than any attempt to be helpful.  You’re right though, I didn’t like it, especially your contribution.

Nothing like preventing product conflicts that you think is so critical than pricing it out of consideration.  You are so desperate to be critical of an idea to even consider what it is you are posting.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Haha fair enough 🤣 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What an ugly community.  You are less than worthless.

Wow! Because we have a different opinion to you, this is how you respond? 

What can I say? “Your logical and rational argument has convinced me to change my mind?” I don’t think so. 

What I have noted though is that there’s still more responders against your idea than have expressed support. Maybe they’re all keeping quiet for some reason… Or maybe there’s not so much support for it as you thought? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @crags 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

I think, however, that this thread has now run it’s course - it will now be closed to further discourse.