1 Amp: 2 ceiling in stereo + 4 wall mono in 4 other different rooms: is this possible :?)

• 16 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello and thank you in advance for your input.

The title says it all: Can I use one Sonos Amp to power 2 in ceiling architectural speakers playing in stereo for one room, then use the same amp to power 4 in wall architectural speakers. Each one will be placed in a different room: one in wall speaker per room. 

THX 🙏🏼 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No, the Amp can be set to either mono or stereo, there are no separate speaker outputs for mono and stereo.  

Follow up question: mono/stereo aside: can I mix the in wall with in ceiling speakers? let's say all in one room? THX :)

If I understand the question properly, the Sonos Amp has zero knowledge about where the speakers are, physically. 

Actually I read somewhere that you can’t use on ceiling speakers and in wall speakers with the same sono amp they need to be all ceiling or all in wall speakers, or have one amp for the ceiling and one amp for the wall speakers. But that seemed strange so I’m asking the community :) thx 

Pretty sure I’m part of the community, at least last time I checked. Again, the Sonos Amp has no idea where the speakers are physically, all they know about is impedance and voltage needs to power whatever is at the other end of the cable. 

With one exception, which isn’t related to placement. Sonance Architectural line of speakers allow up to 6 to be powered by one Amp. I’m not sure if they pass some sort of recognition back to the Amp, or they are efficient enough for the Amo to handle 6 at a time, but again, there is no knowledge of where the speakers are placed, be it on the floor, in the walls, or in the ceiling.