Zp 24/96

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1012 replies

Badge
Hello all,

I've not looked at this thread for a little while, it seems to be running forever.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems to have moved on from being a request for 24/96 to being 24/192.

Can anyone explain to me what the 24 means and what the 96 or 192 means?

For the record, I would be happy for sonos to play hi res music but as I don't have any and none of the music I listen to is available in hi res format then it is not something that I would consider a priority.
24 is the number of bits used for a sample, 96 (kHz) is the frequency it is sampled at, aka the sample rate. So a 16/44.1 track is created by taking a 16 bit sample 44100 times a second. A 24/96 track is created by taking a 24 bit sample 96000 times a second.
Badge
Ok, I may have just found a website that answers my own question.

The 'bits' (16 for CD or 24 for hi res) represents how many values the sample can have. For CD each sound can be represented by 65,536 values which represents 2^16 whereas for hi res each sound can be represented by 16,777,216 values which is 2^24.

The KHz (44 for CD or 96 for hi res) represents how many times per second an analogue sound is sampled. With 44khz a sample is taken 44,000 times a second and with 96khz a sample is taken 96,000 times a second.

Therefore:
CD = 44,000 samples per second and 65,536 values.

Hi Res = 96,000 samples per second and 16.7m values.

Therefore I presume that 24/192 is 192,000 samples per second and 16.7m values.

Is that right?

For reference the source of my wisdom is:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a-prima-donna-pc,544-4.html

Apologies, did not see that someone had already replied to this while I was busily reading.
That would be correct.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just wanted to add my vote for 24 bit...I already use an upsampling external DAC, in an audiophile type system. Was suprised when I saw the format was not supported...and have read this entire thread. Been a satisfied user for many years now...

So, again....+1 vote for high res.
Userlevel 2
Another vote for 24/192.

My Linn DS system supports 24/192, but my Sonos does not.

More and more hi rez downloads are becoming available, so this is no longer a request only for the obscure audiophile... See Linn Records for example: http://www.linnrecords.com/catalogue.aspx?format=studio

I understand it's not yet in the mainstream, but it may be soon. The general public is waking up to the issues with lossy MP3s and compressed recordings.
Userlevel 2
Hi!
I also would like to have 24/96 support on my ZP 90, for example for my HDCD-rips (db poweramp). I hope something like a High-End-Mode (fixed output, 24 bit loopthrough to digital outputs) is possible for the current hardware/player-range.
silberruecken
Userlevel 2
Agreed that a "high resolution" zone player would need digital outputs, and a choice between variable and fixed outputs as the current ZP90's have. I think supporting 192k sample rates could be considered overkill for an already ambitious increase of data throughput necesssary for this upgrade. 24/96 would be the sweet spot, and most likely acceptable to the majority of users wanting this type of upgraded ZP. Also, for me, a hard-wired hi-rez ZP would be acceptable.
Userlevel 2
I've got two D/A converters that go to 24/192. The technology there is easy. And a ZP90HD (I just made up a model name) wouldn't need any analogue out. Anybody interested in hi rez will have their own DAC.

And I really want it to be wireless. I would easily live with blocking out the other zoneplayers when the HD version is selected, or when a hi rez file is selected. That might free up the bandwidth to make it work.

Anyway, I love the sonos system. I love it's sound and reliability. I want more.

T
... wouldn't need any analogue out. Anybody interested in hi rez will have their own DAC.

Here we disagree. I prefer a more general product that would have at least all of the features of the current ZP90. I shuffle things around. I don't always need the services of a $$$$ external DAC, but if the DAC is missing, then I need to track down an older style ZP90 or a DAC. I miss the ZP100's Line-Out. TOSLINK and USB audio inputs would be a nice plus.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I've got two D/A converters that go to 24/192. The technology there is easy. And a ZP90HD (I just made up a model name) wouldn't need any analogue out. Anybody interested in hi rez will have their own DAC.

And I really want it to be wireless. I would easily live with blocking out the other zoneplayers when the HD version is selected, or when a hi rez file is selected. That might free up the bandwidth to make it work.

Anyway, I love the sonos system. I love it's sound and reliability. I want more.

T

+1 here for me....
Userlevel 2
buzz said:

Here we disagree. I prefer a more general product that would have at least all of the features of the current ZP90. I shuffle things around. I don't always need the services of a $$$$ external DAC, but if the DAC is missing, then I need to track down an older style ZP90 or a DAC. I miss the ZP100's Line-Out. TOSLINK and USB audio inputs would be a nice plus.

Buzz I have to agree that taking features out of a zoneplayer that could accommodate 24/96, high resolution data, would not be ideal. People to change their minds and move things around, so creating a super-specialized ZP that lost features is probably not the way to go. Sonos does so many things right, and in such a user-friendly way.

So, in a nutshell, what is the greatest technical obstacle to implementing 24/96 support? And, what, in your opinion, would be the most practical way to implement 24/96 support?

Appreciating your opinions...
Userlevel 2
ZP90 with 'digital output only' 24/96 support... I would be up for that! You want 24/96? Then use a separate DAC. Analog output for the rest of us.

Might even be possible using the current ZP90 with new firmware, sacrificing volume control..?
Userlevel 2
Really would like to see support for 24/96 or 24/192!
Userlevel 2
+1 Would love it
Userlevel 2
another +1 here

it seems like everyone else now offers this except Sonos - i appreciate this isn't a 'good' argument but with hardware like the SBTouch offering this, and given this thread is now nearly 3 years old ..
here's hoping anyway (as i'd really like to buy into Sonos today (as my wallet screams at me lol), but built in obsolescence concerns me and presumably a number of other buyers) 🙂
I too have two ZP90s attached to hardware that can handle 24/192 (one the wonderful Benchmark Dac1 HDR, the other a Denon AVR 4308). One operates in the stereo system; the other in the home cinema. I do not need much here, just the ability by the Sonos streamers to PASS ON such signals via the digital out. Elementary, I would have thought.
Userlevel 2
I'd like to see a clear statement of support from product development for Hi Res FLAC formats. In particular, 96kHz/24 bit. Squeezebox has it now and without a clear direction not sure how long I can remain on this platform. An email from the product developers recently says they're "thinking about the need for it"... seems a bit odd as its now a standard format.
Userlevel 2
Hi
I own a Sonos for several years and lurked around this forum and figured I would finally add my $0.02.

Sonos is a great system but 24/96 or 24/192 capability is an absolute must for the product to remain viable long term.

Like the previous poster mentioned, it is frustrating that we get no signal that Sonos is at least pursuing this. I understand a certain degree of marketing secrecy but at the same time they lose customers all the time who feel no confidence that we will see the feature.

What undermines the confidence even more is the frustrating undercurrent of "we don't need it, only 1% want it, Sonos is great just the way it is" from certain "contributors"

Sonos certainly has enough feedback now to understand this is a needed future capability and I hope they deliver soon. They certainly delivered in the past but we can't wait forever!
Userlevel 2
Yet another competitor now able to support hi-res audio; http://en.raumfeld.com/shop/connector/

COME ON SONOS! WE ARE STILL WAITING, BUT WON'T WAIT FOREVER!!
Userlevel 2
Yet another competitor now able to support hi-res audio; http://en.raumfeld.com/shop/connector/

COME ON SONOS! WE ARE STILL WAITING, BUT WON'T WAIT FOREVER!!

I absolutely agree. The upgrade to hirez-audio support is a must these days.

When the upgrade is coming to the market make it simple and cost-effective to customers already using Sonos.

Thank you in advance
Userlevel 2
I think Sonos should add Hi res playback, It would make my decision to go sonos instead of something else really easy. my question though is could Sonos do this through a firmware update or would they need to release a new Sonos unit to be able to decode the 24 bit formats?
Userlevel 2
Even if they do it wired only. I know sending hires files over wireless dosen't work well using a Naim Uniti
Userlevel 1
The list of competitors supporting 24/96 is growing ever longer! eg Cambridge Audio, Denon, Marantz.
This is reaching into the mid-fi territory where Sonos is placed. I am wondering whether to buy more/another network ready music player. 24/96 support will be one of the factors affecting my decision....
Userlevel 2
It's incredible. It's been over THREE YEARS since this thread started, the competition are stomping all over SONOS' home ground, and... oh, is that tumbleweed I see?
:rolleyes: 😃