Skip to main content

I'm considering to purchase the Sonos Amp, in order to replace my Yamaha A-S700 amplifier and Sonos Connect.

The speakers I'm using are a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX6 floorstanding 2.5 way speakers.

I'm wondering if the Sonos Amp will be a good match, and be safe to use, since the power rating of these speakers is a bit less than the recommendation.

Specs are:

System Format

2 1/2 Way

Frequency Response

38Hz - 35kHz

Sensitivity (1W@1M)

90dB

Nominal Impedance

6 Ohms

Maximum SPL

Power Handling (RMS)

125W

Recommended Amplifier Requirements

40-125W

Bass Alignment

Dual Chamber, Bass reflex with differential tuning.
Twin HiVe®️II port System

Crossover Frequency

LF: 700Hz
MF/HF: 2.7kHz

Drive Unit Complement

1 x 6" RST®️ Bass driver
1 x 6" RST®️ Bass/Mid driver
1 x 1" (25mm) C-CAM®️ gold dome tweeter

External Dimensions (H x W x D)

905 x 275 x 310 mm
(35 5/8 x 10 13/16 x 12 3/16 inch)

Weight (each)

16.4 Kg (36.13 lb)

The Sonos Amp will be a very good drop in replacement that will also make the Sonos Connect redundant. But no more, so unless you don't have anymore the space to keep the Yamaha, you may as well continue with it.

My Sonos Amp drives two B&W floorstanders. I recently tried a Pioneer amp and honestly couldn’t tell any difference in sound. Both are excellent! I decided to continue using the Sonos Amp and brought the Pioneer back. What you gain with the Sonos is a much smaller, very good looking amp that can even be installed on a wall behind something, or discreetly on top of a stand or table.

Also: I have found Yamaha amps to be very well built from a reliability perspective; I have one that is stashed away in a ventilated box paired to a Connect for my patio system, and I haven’t even seen it for many years now - it just works so reliably.

So if space isn't a constraint, there is no need to make a change and take a chance - however slim - with any new product failure issues.

And almost certainly, for pure audio applications, the Yamaha will be more versatile for multiple input handling than the Sonos Amp.