Answered

What is the point of the LED on the Sonos Amp?

• 10 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have seen a couple of questions regarding the LED on the Sonos Amp - but I am confused …

The Amp appears to be permanently on, which, in this day and age of power crises, seems a little environmentally irresponsible.  The unit remains quite warm to the touch, indicating power consumption even if the unit is not amplifying or playing anything.  If the central sensor is touched, the LED flashes and the unit then becomes cooler.  So what is the sensor doing in this case?

What exactly is the point of the LED?  It doesn’t seem to indicate anything … line in status, power status  , anything …  The only use is perhaps to indicate where the touch sensor is in a pitch black room?

It would be useful if there was a different colour for an active line-in signal or perhaps if the power amps were in standby mode ...

I presume the only way to power it down is to pull the power lead or switch off at the wall?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 10 January 2022, 17:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Sonos products are designed to stay on at all times so you can quickly access them and play music through them in the Sonos app. But they will go into idle/standby mode after being idle for a certain amount of time to conserve electricity. The only way to power the Amp off completely is to unplug it.

Read more about turning off Sonos products and power consumption while Sonos products are idle here:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/985?language=en_US

You can turn off the LED light in the Sonos app. 

Here is an article explaining what the LED lights mean on Sonos products:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226?language=en_US

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks - I had seen the article, but, to my mind, there seems to be little or no point in having the LED.

I can see no real benefit in switching off the LED though - it gets really dark in the UK winter …

Could it be that the Amp sees a line input from an Amazon source (using Alexa) that keeps the Amp in active mode?

Perhaps you could advise how long the Amp is in “ready and waiting” mode before going into standby mode?  Also what is the wattage draw (240V) in standby mode?

Thanks very much for your help.

Userlevel 7

Could it be that the Amp sees a line input from an Amazon source (using Alexa) that keeps the Amp in active mode?

Perhaps you could advise how long the Amp is in “ready and waiting” mode before going into standby mode? 

It’s certainly possible.

From Sonos:

Idle is defined as audio muted or paused on all players in the household for at least 3 minutes, and no audio signal is being sent to a line-in connection or home theater player (in most cases, this means that the TV is off).

All Sonos components take 3 minutes to go into idle mode, unless part of a Sonos home theater surround setup. The 3 minutes until idle can be initiated on a surround setup when audio is paused. If pause or mute is not initiated, idle power mode takes 13 minutes for all devices part of a surround setup after the audio signal ceases from the TV.

Also what is the wattage draw (240V) in standby mode?

6.8 Watts (230V)

Read more here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/256?language=en_US