Question

What does the Connect do, exactly?

• 11 February 2014
  • 16 replies

I understand that the Connect is intended to be used with an external amp. My question is, how? Is the idea to:

a) Allow me to play content streaming through the Sonos network (iTunes, Rdio, Spotify) through my existing AVR; or

b) Allow me to stream audio from my AVR-connected peripherals (AppleTV, turntable) wirelessly to Sonos speakers; or

c) Both of the above?

Since most of the terminals are outputs, I'm guessing the answer is (a)… but then what is the RCA input intended for?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Badge +2
Alternative A is the correct answer
Thanks, Tobbe. So then what does the RCA input into the Connect do?

Is there any way to connect say a turntable or an AppleTV to a Sonos system, short of purchasing a Connect:Amp?
Badge +2
Hmm, didn't even know there was RCA input on it...

From the online manual at http://www.sonos.com/support/onlineuserguide/en/:

"Use a standard RCA audio cable to connect the audio outputs from a separate audio component such as a CD player, to the SONOS CONNECT’s analog audio inputs.
The answer is c)

For example with my connect configuration I can

1) Play an LP on my turntable in the lounge and have the sound play out in any other room with a zone
2) Start playing music in another zone and then have the output also play from the lounge

In my case I did this by placing the connect between an arcam pre-amp and a power amp. RCA input comes from the pre-amp output, RCA output goes to the power amp.

This way any source played via my separates must go to the sonos first and thus can be sent to other rooms. Likewise, streams from other rooms automatically go to my power amp as that is what the RCA out is connected to.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Kieran, that's exactly what I was hoping to be able to do.

Sonos, if you're listening, you should make it clearer that the Connect can do this! And while we're at it, add an optical input!
The answer is c)

For example with my connect configuration I can

1) Play an LP on my turntable in the lounge and have the sound play out in any other room with a zone
2) Start playing music in another zone and then have the output also play from the lounge

In my case I did this by placing the connect between an arcam pre-amp and a power amp. RCA input comes from the pre-amp output, RCA output goes to the power amp.

This way any source played via my separates must go to the sonos first and thus can be sent to other rooms. Likewise, streams from other rooms automatically go to my power amp as that is what the RCA out is connected to.

Hope this helps!
. Hello Kieran I am sorry I am not so experienced as you clearly. I have a Denon AVR-X1200W Amp and woudl like to be able to play music from my Amp back through the Sonos Connect and this to my otherSonos speakers. Are the things you mention above “arcam pre-amp and a power amp” additional components I need to buy and if so what then connects to what? I am sorry for my novice question..... At the moment I can only play from my Sonos back into my Amp. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a Denon AVR-X1200W Amp and woudl like to be able to play music from my Amp back through the Sonos Connect and this to my otherSonos speakers. Are the things you mention above “arcam pre-amp and a power amp” additional components I need to buy and if so what then connects to what? I am sorry for my novice question..... At the moment I can only play from my Sonos back into my Amp. Thanks
You should be able to connect the Denon's 'Zone 2' output to the Connect's input using an RCA cable. Follow the instructions for Connection 2 : Connection using an external amplifier in:
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1200W/NA/EN/GFNFSYtmyicciu.php#SEHFMLlyvhfizg
Great PWT this looks promising. I will give this a try and let you know how I get on.
What sources are you trying to play? Is this so that you can send audio from turntable, CD player through other Sonos speakers?
John yes from the amp to the Sonos - CD or other
The reply to this will be: if it is just one source as in a CD, why don't you just wire the CD player to the input jacks of Connect instead of to the Denon.
Kumar I also want the CD (also a DVD Blu Ray player) to play through the Amp and which connects through an HDMI port.
Yes, but if you connected the CD player to the input jacks of the Connect, set them to autoplay in Line In settings, the music from the CDs will be played through the Denon as well, via the Connect outputs connected to the Denon inputs. Leave the DVD player connected to the Denon, presumably that is for movies. In this scheme the sound from the movies will play only via the Denon and not via Sonos.
Kumar thanks but I have one player - it plays DVD Blu Ray and CDs. Hence the HDMI connection to the amp
Then the zone 2 line out/RCA route is the way to do this.
Kumar thanks - I’ll try and pick one up in the coming days and will let you know how I get on!