Question

Using both a turntable and a CD player with Sonos Connect

• 25 October 2016
  • 5 replies

I have an old HiFi system of which the only components still working are the turntable and the CD player. I have recently bought two Play1s and a Connect because I want to listen to my vinyl collection again – I bought a preamp too. I’d also like to listen to my large CD collection and I know I could connect the CD player directly to the Sonos Connect. I also know I could rip the CDs to a hard drive and ditch the CD player altogether, but I don’t really have the time to do that!
So the question is – is there any way of keeping the turntable and the CD player both connected to the Sonos Connect at the same time and switching between the two rather than having to unplug one from the Connect and plugging in the other?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

An obvious solution is a simple line-level switch, to flip between the CD and turntable preamp.

You shouldn't leave both directly connected at the same time, since each would be looking into the output of the other (as well as the CONNECT's input). However if you're handy with a soldering iron and know a little about shielding you could make up simple mixers out of a pair of resistors for each channel, which would allow you to keep both sources connected simultaneously.
Thanks, Ratty.
I’ve been searching online and found an inexpensive piece of kit called a manual 2 port twin RCA switch. It has 2 RCA inputs and 1 RCA output on the back and 2 buttons on the front which you press for the desired component. Would that do the trick? If so, in terms of wiring, I assume I connect an RCA lead from the CD player’s line out to one of the switch’s inputs and the output from the pre-amp to the other of the switch’s inputs. Then an RCA lead from the switch’s output to the Sonos Connect’s input. I would have no connections from the Sonos Connect’s output.
Forgive my ignorance, I’m a complete novice here. I have used a soldering iron in the past but don’t possess one now and I know nothing about shielding. You say I shouldn't leave both directly connected at the same time. Wouldn’t the switch overcome that, the component selected on the switch being connected and the other one not?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Using an RCA switch should work fine (while your ripping those CD's)
When I meant by 'leaving both directly connected' was that one shouldn't attempt to use a "Y" splitter cable in reverse. This would have led to the CD and the preamp being connected to one another, which is not good.

What you propose with the 2-to-1 selector switch which you've located is absolutely correct.
Many thanks for that clarification. I will order the switch and get connected!