Answered

Turntable

• 26 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi I want to connect my turntable to Sonos Beam Gen 2, sub mini & 2 x Sl's.  I have two questions 1. I currently have turntable connected to vintage marantz amp to external speakers.  I no longer want to use external speakers but want to connect to my Sonos surround setup.  My turntable has pre-amp & I have connect gen 2. Will connecting connect gen 2 to my marantz amp improve sound over connecting directly to turntable?

Question 2. I'm new to Sonos so do I connect the turntable (Connect gen 2) to my current setup entitled lounge (TV surround sound) or should I set up another group titled turntable with same speakers? Hope that makes sense.

Help much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by buzz 26 November 2022, 11:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

There is no direct way to connect a turntable to BEAM.

You need a SONOS component, such as PORT, FIVE, or AMP. These models offer a Line-In that will accept turntable preamp output.

Thanks I have Connect Gen 2 which is older version of Port.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As you are depending on your Marantz for preamp duties now, it is likely your turntabel does not have a built-in preamp. The Connect needs a line level input.

I short: if you’ve no preamp the Connect needs to be connected via the Marantz.

Hi turntable has pre-amp just wondering if it would sound better to connect 'connect' to marantz amp or would it sound the same with turntable preamp?

Hi turntable has pre-amp just wondering if it would sound better to connect 'connect' to marantz amp or would it sound the same with turntable preamp?

Only you will know what sounds “best” (to you). Certainly, using the SONOS CONNECT will be more convenient.