Question

Taking play 1s and sub somewhere else

• 7 November 2016
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi

Im going away for the weekend to a cottage that has broadband but possibly not direct access to the router.

I wish to take my play 1 pair plus sub. At home, my sub is bonded to connect amp.

Can anyone please tell me the steps required for the play 1s and sub to work together at the cottage and also still integrate straight back into my existing setup when i return home?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This thread may help.
https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-without-any-networkinternet-6754731/index1.html#post16053476
Take a spare old router you may have, or a laptop with your music on and an Ethernet cable, forget the sub.
If you use a different router, you need to follow the new router procedure each time
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1072/kw/new%20router
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Thanks for the reply.

I thought sonos no longer needs to be connected to a router? Therefore i hoped i could connect the play 1s and sub to the cottage broadband wirelessly. Is this not possible?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If the cottage has broadband wifi, then that most probably is the router as well (with Ethernet ports on the back), so you can follow new router procedure.
Internet connection is not needed to set sonos up as long as all hardware and controllers are on same version of software.
Without internet you can only play local stored music on phones, laptop etc.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Ok thanks. Final question. I own a bridge but do not use it at home. Can i take a bridge with me and then connect the play 1s and sub to the bridge even though the bridge is not pay1 of my setup at home?

Do i need to setup new system or connect to existing system when using controller for first time?
The BRIDGE won't help unless you can wire it to the router at the cottage. In WiFi mode (Standard Setup) it's useless.

To use it at the cottage you'd first need to add the BRIDGE to your system. Temporarily put your home system into SonosNet mode (BOOST Setup) by wiring one of the existing players. Wait a couple of minutes, then add the BRIDGE wirelessly. (You may get asked to temporarily wire it as well.)
Ok thanks. Final question. I own a bridge but do not use it at home. Can i take a bridge with me and then connect the play 1s and sub to the bridge even though the bridge is not pay1 of my setup at home?

Do i need to setup new system or connect to existing system when using controller for first time?

Do you know yet if you will have access to the router? This makes a big difference to the answers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Ratty. At home, I have a play 1 wired to my router so am already on sonosnet. Ok so i need to add bridge at home first

John i don't know yet if ill have access. I guess im trying to work out the options for both scenarios. If i can access the router i thought the bridge would be useful if the router is poorly located.

But if i cannot access the router then my system won't work at all? Do i need at least temporary access to initially set it up?
Yes the easiest way to move a system that is on SonosNet is just to take the wired unit from your home router and plug it in the other router. Everything else will the connect just like you are at home, no changes to settings or anything.

To have any hope of using the Bridge you would have to add it to home system. I think you could then take it and Ethernet it to the other router (if you have access), although I have temporarily made it my wired device at home before taking it with me when I have done this. That may have been an unnecessary step.

If you can't get to the router your options are much more limited. You would have to get the wifi credentials into the Sonos but you have to temporarily wire to the router, which you can't do. By far the best solution is a travel router, which can connect wirelessly to the new network but give you your own wifi network with Ethernet port to connect Sonos to. I use a Netgear Trek N300 travel router, and it's worked well for me.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/PR2000.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Ok John. Thanks for the help. I go today so no time for taking travel router. Ill take the bridge and hope i have access to the router.

Thanks everyone.
One other theoretical possibility. Not sure worth the effort. If you can find out the SSID and password of the cottage router before you go, you could temporarily change your home router's credentials to match, then go through the wireless set up procedure at home. When you get to cottage Sonos should connect to the identical credentials.

Not sure I'd recommended it, even if you can get the info!