Skip to main content

I have a very nice Paradigm Sub that is not hooked up to anything.  I am considering adding a Sonos Sub to my Sonos system or I am considering buying a Sonos Amp and using my Paradigm 12” Subwoofer to enhance my system.  I am currently only using my Sonos system for music.  I currently have a Sonos Five and a pair of Sonos One’s in the living room, a second pair of Sonos Ones in the Bedroom and a Sonos Move.  My TV’s are a little older and don’t have the HDMI ARC ports.  My TV’s are currently using a Sound bar and wireless Sub for the TV Sound.  I think the Amp and my Paradigm Subwoofer provide me with more options to connect for a Home Theatre sound when I get new TV’s, but I like all of the Sonos products.  So looking for suggestions as to which setup might provide the best sound for Music.  Thanks

Hi @GVP, welcome to the community.

If you’re going to use a 3rd party sub, it depends on the connection the 3rd-party sub needs. Set up your Sonos Amp

The Sonos Amp has an auto-detection RCA port at the back for Subwoofers.

What specific Subwoofer model do you have? so we can check the Subwoofer for connections.

If you’re going to get a Sonos Sub, the Sub just needs to be added to the Sonos system and registered.

The Sonos Sub needs a room assignment and can only be assigned to one room.

The flexibility however is that you can assign the Sonos Sub to any of your paired speakers and your Play:5 but not the Move. 

The limitation for the Sonos Sub is that it can’t be paired to a Sonos Port and the Sonos Move.

The explanation of the limitation, the port is already connected to a 3rd-party receiver/amplifier; why not add a 3rd-party sub to the receiver/amplifier.

Plus, there would be volume conflicts if it was allowed.

For the Move, the Move was designed to be a portable speaker and the Sub connection needs a Wifi network to work properly.

Either option should cater to your preference and needs. 

I'll check the Paradigm model and post tomorrow. I use the Move on the deck and would not expect to use the Sonos Sub with that speaker. I have the Sonos Five and a stereo pair of Ones in the living room... That is where I would put the Sonos Sub or the Amp and my wired Paradigm.  Currently I do have turntable connected the the Line In on the Sonos Five. That might be helpful in looking at best option. Thanks. 

Hi @GVP, thank you for the update.

I understand, update us with the Paradigm sub-model. So we can check if our Amp can power it.

Since you mentioned a turntable, the Amp is most likely the best option.

The Amp can connect to the TV with either an HDMI connection or with an Optical adaptor.

The Amp has an RCA Line-in port for your turntable. 

We would still need to check the Paradigm sub, however.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

The Paradigm Model is PW-250.  I attached a photo of the rear panel:

Sorry, the model is PW-2500…  not 250

Hi, @GVP, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

I checked for a manual for the Paradigm PW-2500 and seeing the back of the sub.

We shouldn’t have any issues having a 3rd party Sub connected to the Amp. 

The only thing we need is a Y RCA connector; since the Sonos Amp only has one RCA port for the input of the 3rd party sub.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

On my previous system, the amp only had one connection for a sub, and I used a single line from the amp to the low level input marked Mono on the back of the sub.  I do thank you for the response… I do have some other questions, but they are not related to just the sub, so I may need to start another conversation to get some feedback.  But in relation to the sub and the amp… the amp will drive the sub for both just music and the TV.  I assume there will not no delay issues with my other sonos speakers if I use the Amp, the Sub and a set of wired book shelf speakers for music.  I think I am probably going to go with the Beam or Arc for the TV connection.  I do have my turntable connection to my new Play Five… and it works fine.  Will it perform better through the Amp?

It should be the same, through either the Five (no PLAY) or the Amp. The only difference between those two line ins is the form factor, the software throughput is the same.

Thanks… it is currently connected to the new Sonos Five… with no issues… just debating if I should get the Amp to connect by old Sub Woofer… or I may be better off selling it an buying the Sonos Sub 3, and keep it all Sonos. I don’t have any great passive speakers to add to the Amp, just some older Surround Sound Speakers, Boston Bravo 20’s.  And since I have an existing sound bar and wireless sub connected to the TV… I may just wait and upgrade to the Sonos Beam (TV does not have HDMI ARC) and get the Sonos Sub and keep the turntable connected through the Sonos Five line in.  Thanks