Answered

Sonos Setup Music versus TV

• 5 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Can an amp, with speakers connected, be used for both TV surround sound and music? I have installed a Sonos system in a home. There are 11 Sonos amps for music in several rooms/spaces, 3 Arc soundbars and 3 Subs (for the three TV-viewing areas). I’d like to set up the system to play music on the Amps when the TV’s aren’t on, but then switch them to TV sound when the TV’s are turned on. It seems this is possible, but I am not having any luck trying to set it up. Can someone offer assistance, please?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 5 December 2022, 14:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Music sources can be played on any Sonos home theater product.  This includes Amp, Arc, Beam and Ray.  Setting “TV Autoplay” to ‘On’ in the settings menu for rooms with TV sources will automatically play TV audio when the TV is switched on. 

If the Sonos devices are set up then they are set up for music. Have you tried just choosing Sonos Rsdio or TuneIn in the Sonos app as a source to test the system.

Userlevel 7

If the Amp is set up as surrounds with the Arc, be sure to set the Music Playback setting under Surround Audio for the Arc to FULL. When streaming music, this will give you full stereo playback through the speakers connected to the Amp while still allowing the speakers to act as surround speakers with TV audio.