Sonos Roam does not work with Sonos S1 App

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Just received my Roam today. 

Heads up for everyone as it’s not made clear anywhere prior to purchase that it’s only compatible with the new version of the app. 

This means if you have “legacy” Sonos products as part of your set up and use the S1 app to control them you won’t be able to see your Roam as part of your existing Sonos network. 

You have to download the new version of the app and then set up a new Sonos system to add the Roam to it. Then you have to add all your music services, any favourites etc etc again to the new app to be able to access them on your Roam. 

Pretty s*it experience to be honest, and annoying it’s not made clearer. 

By having “old” products Sonos doesn’t want me to have in my network I’m effectively left with a bog standard stand alone portable speaker. Struggling to see the benefit of it over a JBL Bluetooth speaker at the moment to be honest (build quality and sound quality aside obviously 😆). 

Anyway heads up for those of you still mulling over the purchase. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

78 replies

@LNB123, I don't understand how Sonos is supposed to make a unit work on S1 that didn't even exist when S1 was last updated?  How is S1 supposed to support the Roam when 1) It doesn't know what the Roam is and 2) It cannot be updated to know what the Roam is?

Well thank stinks! I’ve been a loyal Sonos customer since 2010 and have just bought a Roam and wireless charging base for well over £200 only to find it wont work with my system and that Sonos are not supporting their old products and that I need to buy everything again and “upgrade” to “Sonos 2”. I’ve no idea what to do? Perhaps return my new Roam for a refund and look at alternative systems? I feel no loyalty to Sonos and my intended soundbar purchase definitely won’t be Sonos now.

It’s so sad - like a betrayal.

Well thank stinks! I’ve been a loyal Sonos customer since 2010 and have just bought a Roam and wireless charging base for well over £200 only to find it wont work with my system and that Sonos are not supporting their old products and that I need to buy everything again and “upgrade” to “Sonos 2”. I’ve no idea what to do? Perhaps return my new Roam for a refund and look at alternative systems? I feel no loyalty to Sonos and my intended soundbar purchase definitely won’t be Sonos now.

It’s so sad - like a betrayal.

I don’t understand why you need to upgrade anything here, just install the Roam to the S2 App and use it as intended, as a portable speaker. It doesn’t need to use your S1 setup at all.