Sonos Port, white noise on coax

• 24 October 2023
  • 5 replies

I have had my Port for a couple of months, and it has worked flawlessly. 

Up until this morning, when only a white noise is streaming on the coaxial.

It disappears if I change from pass-through to variable, and lower the volume to around 30, or lower. However, I want to use the pass-through or fixed at 100.

How can this be resolved?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Pass-through is normally for use with any ‘Works with Sonos’ Amp product - is that what you’re using?

Have you tried a different Amp/Receiver, or re-seating/swapping the cable connection.

If the issue persists, then it maybe best to reproduce the issue and immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Pass-through is normally for use with any ‘Works with Sonos’ Amp product - is that what you’re using?

Have you tried a different Amp/Receiver, or resetting/swapping the cable connection?

If the issue persists, then it maybe best to reproduce the issue and immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

It is a DAC (Fiio D03K) connected to a Genelec F1 sub.

I have removed the cables and connected them again, and the problem consists.

The DAC also receives input from my TV through optical without any issues (using the physical switch to change from coaxial to optical).

Is this problem due to a broken update?

Ihave removed the cables and connected them again, and the problem consists.

The DAC also receives input from my TV through optical without any issues (using the physical switch to change from coaxial to optical).

If it is an update issue - I think you’re perhaps the first to mention it here, but maybe give Sonos a call from the link provided in my earlier post and see if they are aware, or if they are able to maybe reproduce the issue.

That confirms that the DAC’s optical is okay, but not its coax. Are you able to test the coax input somehow?

At this point an inexpensive bi-directional optical-coax converter would be a useful diagnostic tool, as it would allow the Port to connect to the known-good DAC optical (or indeed the TV to connect to the DAC coax) for verification purposes.

Ihave removed the cables and connected them again, and the problem consists.

If it is an update issue - I think you’re perhaps the first to mention it here, but maybe give Sonos a call from the link provided in my earlier post and see if they are aware, or if they are able to maybe reproduce the issue.

That confirms that the DAC’s optical is okay, but not its coax. Are you able to test the coax input somehow?

At this point an inexpensive bi-directional optical-coax converter would be a useful diagnostic tool, as it would allow the Port to connect to the known-good DAC optical (or indeed the TV to connect to the DAC coax) for verification purposes.

I tested the optical through the TV once again, and the same white noise is coming through.

So it must be the DAC, I suppose. Or could it be something else?

Will try to find another DAC to test with.