Sonos Port + Turntable + output to a Spectrum Analyzer?

• 27 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Unique question this.

I am thinking of purchasing a Spectrum Analyzer to bring some life to my home setup. 

I’d like to achieve the following:

1. Connect my turntable (amp built in) to my Port, audio to be played through my various Sonos speakers
  2. Connect the output of my Port to a Spectrum Analyzer (the Spectrum Analyzer has RCA inputs)
  3. The Spectrum Analyzer to display the output signals from the turntable, and a different times the output of other Sonos audio services connected to my wider Sonos setup (i.e. Spotify)

Is this workable? Could the Port support such a thing? Basically outputting the sound from my turntable or other Sonos audio services to a Spectrum Analyzer all via the Port’s output cable?

4 replies

The Port has no idea what would be on the other end of a line output. It’s a standard, line level electrical output via RCA jacks. 

The Port has no idea what would be on the other end of a line output. It’s a standard, line level electrical output via RCA jacks. 

Indeed, so technically this should work right? Will the Port funnel the correct signals for the spectrum to visualise? For both the turntable output and the wider Sonos network audio?

I would think so, yes. Not that hard to test?

I would think so, yes. Not that hard to test?

I haven’t bought the Spectrum Analyser yet 🫣 

I guess I’ll have to buy one to find out!