Skip to main content

Hello I have a question,

I currently have a Sonos Arc, sub and 2x Sonos one in the living room.

in addition one Simphonysk in the bedroom.

If I will add a port with a turntable (with its preamp of course), do I need specific speakers (pre-amplified of course) to connect directly to the port, or can I cast the vinyl directly to the other existing Sonos speakers that I already have?

In general, would be better to connect the turntable to a sonos five or to a port?

Any differences in the DAC between the 2 components?

thanks

In general a 5 is better because speaker capability is obtained for not a lot more money. Either way the results will sound the same via the existing Sonos speakers.

One of the purposes of the port is to bring an external source into the sonos ecosystem. As you set up the port you give a name to the port and to the line in and it just becomes another music source that you can select from the sonos App, choose the room you wish to play the turntable through and  “browse > line-in > select the name you have given to the line in : and the name you have given to the port” .

You don’t need to add other amplified speakers to the port although of course you can. If you did it woud be possible to play the turntable through say your symfonisk and play a different source through the amplified speakers.

Port vs Five - hourses for courses it depends what you want to do. If you want another speaker in the same room as the turntable it is cheaper in total to use the Five, if you want to feed your Sonos ecosystem into a standalone hifi system then the port is the way to go, if you have existing non amplified speakers that you want to use then you could consider an Amp.