Summary:

1. Products with HDMI input
  2. Sonos Three
  3. Bathroom speaker
  4. Sonos headphones
  5. Mini Sonos Sub
  6. Centre channel
  7. Installer app
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1)

If you own a Sonos TV component such as the Beam, Arc or Amp you’ll be familiar with the following screensaver or similar:

ARC backdrop

These components have the capabilities to output video (usually to show that they're connected). Sonos should release an update that allows users to display ‘Currently Playing’ music like the image below:

Depending on the products processor and video output chip, at a later date Sonos could introduce Google Cast and Apple Airplay (Video) capabilities.

(2)

Sonos Three (at £299): successor to the Play:3. Just do it, we need it. Better sound than a One but not as expensive or big as a Five!

(3)

Bathroom speaker: A waterproof, active, dual tweeter speaker (with small Sonos amp built in). Most bathrooms are on the top floor; below a loft space where the product can be powered from.

(4)

Sonos headphones: Working similar to a Sonos Roam. The wireless headphones should have capabilities for both Sonos and Bluetooth. In the home, the headphones would seamlessly work with the Sonos system (as the Roam and Move do). During setup the Headphones could also be assigned to a zone (most likely a room with a TV and Sonos soundbar etc).

When watching TV / listening to music, the zone’s standard Sonos setup (for example; Arc, Sub, surrounds) would play. Picking up the headphones from their dock could transfer the audio to the headphones (setting for headphone autoplay in Sonos app) or this could be done with a physical button on the headphones.

(5)

Mini Sonos Sub: The standard Sub at £749 is crazy expensive so a smaller baby subwoofer with slightly reduced performance would be ideal. This product was leaked but nothing since..

(6)

Use a Ray, Beam or Arc as a dedicated centre channel, this could then be paired with front surrounds (2x One/SL, 2x Five or Amp) as proper FL & FR, then you could also pair surrounds (as you currently can) for a true 5.1 setup.

(7)

Installer app: As a Sonos installer we often install systems when customers aren’t present or they’re busy or don’t have access to their emails. If installers had a separate Authorized Sonos Installer app where customer account verification wasn’t required (Sonos system could be ‘claimed’ by the customer at a later date by either using the normal Sonos app on their phone or they could receive a link via email to complete their setup at a later date).

Installer app could also have further features and diagnostic information.

On a side note, when installing large systems with 10+ zones it’s extremely annoying after adding each individual speaker that Sonos forces an update. With the installer app, all the products should be able to be added followed by a unified update of all products at the end.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @lewisc 

Thanks for your feedback!

I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration.

1 - I am a big fan of using the screensaver to show what’s currently playing for a couple years now.  I haven’t see too many people support the idea though, and I’m doubtful it will ever happen.  I tend to think, based on rumors, that Sonos is more likely to create their own TV apps instead.  That would be better, since it would not just show what’s playing, but allow for control (via remote) and show what’s playing in other rooms.  It wouldn’t take up resources on the speakers either.

As far as Google Cast and airplay video, that seems like it would be resource intensive, and people who would use the feature likely already have a streaming device they could cast to for that feature.

2 -  You could arguably say that the Move covers this price point already.  Move can’t be used for rear surrounds, but Ones cover this well enough already.  Based on the way Sonos has been producing products to hit market areas pretty routinely lately, I have no doubt that that a new Three is in the works in there is a market for it that One and Five are missing.  

3 - Why not use a pair of Roams?   What’s the need for dual tweeters here? The One itself is also moisture resistant and never had any problems in the bathroom.  There is also the option of using an amp with ceiling speakers.

4 - Sonos headphones are heavily rumored.  In addition to working with TV audio as you stated, it seems like working as a phone headset is also a must.  Neither feature are currently available on Roam or Move.  Seems like Sonos would have to do these on headphones, but Sonos has produced products with missing ‘have to’ features before and still sold well.  So who knows.

5 - Seems like a proper pairing for a Beam or Ray.  I’m thinking it will be released this September.

6 - I don’t see this happening any time soon for technical/wireless reasons..  And when it does, I think Sonos will create a proper center channel speaker, rather than using a full soundbar.

7 -  I’ve seen something similar for Pool setup/control.  Installer and maintenance pros can have accounts that access several different pools, separate than the owners accounts.  It definitely makes sense for that application.  One big difference is that the Pool access is always through the cloud, not through local network like Sonos.  

With Sonos, you could maybe set up with a temp email and transfer to owners email after setup, but that’s not convenient at all.  An installer app where you have admin access to several homes seems rather useful, not to installer, but folks with second homes, BnB properties, etc.  A lower level diagnostic would be great for everyone, and would allow installers to do some support, freeing up Sonos support staff a bit.

Badge

I’m throwing a comment here because I truly hope Sonos adds all of these things. Specifically, I would do anything for dedicated front surround speakers. It’s a win-win Sonos! We get true 5.1.2 and we pay more money for extra speakers like let’s go! You did it with dual Sub support so it can’t be THAT out of your wheelhouse to include this feature.

I’d also like to add a request to this: Atmos supported surrounds. Even if you just add it to the Five. If I’m right, when placed in portrait orientation that technically points speakers toward the ceiling due to the phased array. Could this be possible with a software update? Or a brand new Sonos One/Three with upward firing drivers would be great too. The Arc is good with Atmos but dedicated surrounds for it would really amp up the effect.

I’m throwing a comment here because I truly hope Sonos adds all of these things. Specifically, I would do anything for dedicated front surround speakers. It’s a win-win Sonos! We get true 5.1.2 and we pay more money for extra speakers like let’s go! You did it with dual Sub support so it can’t be THAT out of your wheelhouse to include this feature.

Dual sub and additional wide front left/right speakers are significantly different.  With sub, you are sending the same audio channel you are already sending out to a 2nd device.  And since subs frequencies are omni directional, there is much less impact on tuning.  With wide fronts, you need to send out 2 audio channels your not currently sending.    Also, you’re also kind of sending a message to customers that their soundbar are not quite good enough...you need to buy more.  Some won’t see it that way, but others will decide to look at other brands.

None of that is definitive, but just some thing to consider of why it’s not such a no brainer.

I’d also like to add a request to this: Atmos supported surrounds. Even if you just add it to the Five. If I’m right, when placed in portrait orientation that technically points speakers toward the ceiling due to the phased array. Could this be possible with a software update? Or a brand new Sonos One/Three with upward firing drivers would be great too. The Arc is good with Atmos but dedicated surrounds for it would really amp up the effect.

I doubt the Fives can be repurposed quite like that.  It’s not just about pointing audio at the ceiling, but having it bounce the listening area where people are seating.  Plus, like I mentioned before, the Arc would be sending out additional channels of audio.  Maybe less of an issue since it already has a connection with the surrounds, but still extra processing and more bits to send.

I think a new speaker like a One would be more likely.  But since it only would be useful as surround speaker, it would be smaller market than the existing one.  Unless Sonos can get creative with it.

I want item 6 so that I can add fives to my arc set as FR and FL.  I do not want to replace my arc with dedicated center channel.  Just want the ability to add to it to enhance current setup. Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The dream set up if Sonos supported it would be to use one of their soundbars as a centre channel and then have something like the 5s as front channels with the rest of the surround setup. A proper 5.1.2 set up if you will.

No matter how good the soundbars are, nothing beats that set up.  All that is required is software. And it would lead to more sales. So as far as I’m  concerned it’s a no brainier.

A lot of people who have the money but live in apartments don’t have the luxury of having a dedicated music listening room.  Most music listening occurs in the living room for these people. The best music experience in a typical living room in the Sonos world comes from a soundbar or from the rears in full setting but that is not ideal. I think if Sonos allowed this in the software a lot more Sonos 5s would be sold - Mark my words.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Still holding out for the capability for 2 moves or 2 roams to be stereo paired or just grouped while in Bluetooth mode.

please please please, it’ll make camping nights or outdoor fires much more fun!

lewisc;

(7): See Set up multiple Sonos products at once. While not the most elegant solution, at the end of your setup you could transfer ownership.

1) I am a big believer in space correction. But for that I need an apple phone. I can understand the explanation of the different types of microphones. But why not make the Roam suitable to do this job for my other speakers. 2) In addition to the above, I regret that I do not have any possibility to calibrate the speakers that I have connected to the Amp. This is only possible if they are from Architectural. Understandably, there are limitations and risks to "non-Sonos supported" speakers. But it's my system and I'd like to see it released with any disclaimers.