Skip to main content
Question

Sonos Connect to Yamaha receiver

• 3 November 2020
  • 6 replies

I am trying to hook up a Connect to Yamaha HTR-3064 home theatre receiver so I can play TV sound over the wired surround sound speakers and Sonos Play1s in other rooms - I understand from other posts this is possible, but I have been unable to make it work despite a variety of attempts with various connections.  Current connections are: 1. Cable box to HDMI3 port on receiver;  2. TV to HDMI1 port on receiver;  3. Analog out from receiver via RCA cables to Analog in on Connect.

It would be really great if I could go both ways (i.e. streaming through Sonos to play music on wired speakers as well as Play1s, plus TV sound on Play1s as well as wired speakers.

Can anyone educate me on how to make this happen?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi @Neophite 

If the picture below accurately represents the rear panel of your Yamaha HTR-3064 the Audio Out RCA’s are only functional with an Analog Input source. If you are switching your TV or Cable Box via HDMI Input the Audio Out RCA’s are not available. You might try inputting the audio from your TV or Cable box via the Optical-In to see if that will trigger the Audio Out RCA’s going to the Connect.

Thanks - I’ll give it a try and report back - really appreciate your assistance!

AjTrek1 - Your picture of the back of the receiver is accurate.

No luck on your suggestion of running a separate optical cable from the TV to the receiver - I also tried the optical cable through an extractor to convert the digital signal to analog (with RCA to the receiver) but it didn’t seem to make any difference.  As others have said, I can see the bars next to the Connect going up and down, but no sound.

One of the other related issues is switching the receiver input to anything other than HDMI1 (i.e. AV 4 for the optical cable) on the receiver blanks out my TV picture, so maybe I need to feed the TV another way to the receiver?

Any other thoughts on this?

Hi @Neophite 

The only other options I can offer are as follows:

1. Retire the Yamaha from TV duty and invest in a Sonos home theatre setup. Starting with a Arc or Beam and add surrounds and/or sub as your budget dictates. The Yamaha could still be used to accommodate a turntable or CD player. In fact the Connect could be used as a path to bring a turntable or CD player to Sonos.
  2. Retire the Yamaha from TV duty and invest in a Sonos Amp. You would use your existing speakers as left/right front. You might be able to use your existing sub with the Sonos Amp (if you currently have one connected to the Yamaha) or invest in a Sonos sub and surrounds as your budget dictates. The Amp would also accommodate a turntable or CD player. Optionally the Connect could still be used as a path to bring a turntable or CD player to Sonos.

Note: Any turntable used must have either a built-in or outboard pre-amp.

Thanks, much appreciated!  Very sad to think that the old receiver would need to be mothballed as I do like the sound that it creates for music, movies, etc., given that I am not a serious audiophile.  Guess I will give up on the dream for now.

As a side question, I should be able to run the sound in reverse (i.e. out from Connect into the Yamaha) and play Sonos-streamed sound out through the wired speakers (as well as the Play:1s), correct?

Yes, you can use the Connect to play music from a device or steaming service to your Yamaha by connecting a left/right RCA cable between a RCA input on the Yamaha and RCA output on the Connect.   You can also Group the Connect with other Sonos speakers.