Sonos Connect & Philips Hue

• 22 October 2022
  • 11 replies

I’ve read through all the threads thus far, but most are >1 yr old. Question is whether you can connect the Philips Hue HDMI sync box to Sonos Connect Amp to utilize sonos native app functionality to control music(via Spotify) and have it sync to lights?

11 replies

I’m not sure why you would need to use the Hue sync box when Spotify is already built into the Philips Hue App anyway? You just need to use Spotify Connect to play to the Amp room and use the Hue App to have the playing Spotify music sync with the lights.  

https://huehomelighting.com/sync-philips-hue-spotify/

A screenshot from my Philips Hue App showing the Spotify App link (see attached). It syncs the music played on Sonos speakers with the lights in the chosen Hue entertainment area. 

Hope that assists.

Ken - I can get it to work via the Philips Hue app and sync to Spotify (music plays on my phone), but it won’t play through my Sonos system. I have to use Spotify through the Sonos app in order to hear music through my speakers. That’s where I have the integration issue.

That’s why I’m wondering if the Sync box can connect to the Sonos Connect system and then be integrated to the Sonos app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This should work with Spotify Connect, or when you play from Spotify and you've commanded it to play via Google Assistant.

I do not know a way to connect a Sonos Connect to a Hue Sync box.

I have to use Spotify through the Sonos app in order to hear music through my speakers. 

No you don’t.  You can play direct from the Spotify app to your Sonos speakers.  Whether that will make a difference to your problem I have no idea.  

@Khrighton 

@John B and @106rallye are correct, you simply use Spotify ‘Connect’ to play to the Sonos speaker - the Hue lights then sync to the playing audio, which is setup via the Hue App. You don’t need to use the Sonos App at all.

Userlevel 1
Badge

In my case, I do not use Spotify and have been waiting for a Hue+Sonos partnership for a while now :’(

In my case, I do not use Spotify and have been waiting for a Hue+Sonos partnership for a while now :’(

Whilst waiting, there are plenty of 3rd-Party Apps that are available on iOS/Android that will pick up the sound-out from the Sonos speakers via a mobile/tablet microphone and sync the playing music to your chosen Hue lights - an example is Hue Music.

I quickly summarized the steps on how to use Light Sync, Spotify and Sonos on iphone.  Hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Philips has a HUE API, why doesn’t Sonos just build that functionality IN to the application?  I think a lot of people would find that appealing, vs having to pay for and manage yet another app.

Not sure this can be done with an AMP.  But if you have a Port, use the line out, get an RCA to HDMI converter and connect that to the hue play.