Skip to main content

My brother gave me his Sonos Connect (model S15) that he wasn’t using so I could connect my outdoor pair of Bose Free Space 51s.  I connected the Sonos Connect to my Sonos Boost via Ethernet cable, then bought a pair of male RCA to speaker wire adapters, connected them to 14 AWG (4 conductors) speaker wire and ran it out and connected my Bose speakers.

The problem I am having is barely any sound out of my speakers.  Literally have to put your ear up to the speakers to hear them on 100% Sonos Connect volume via the Sonos App.  

Do I need an amp, a Sonos Amp, or something else in this setup for the speakers to work?  If so, can anyone recommend something inexpensive for me to purchase online?

Or is it possible I have bad equipment, e.g. not the correct speaker wire or RCA to speaker wire connectors?

FYI I’m on S2, and have several play 3 and play 5s running via my Sonos Boost inside my house.  All are wireless except one play 3 connected via Ethernet cable into my Connect.

Thanks in advance, Brent

There is no amplification in the speakers, so you need a Sonos Amp in place of the Sonos Connect. Or, if you have the space to place it next to the Connect, a regular stereo amp between the Connect and the speakers. You ought to get one good enough for a little over half the price of a Sonos Amp, at the expense of a larger combined footprint.

Thanks Kumar!  Would this one work?

2 Channel Stereo Audio Class D Amplifier Mini Hi-Fi Professional Digital Amp for Home Speakers 50W x 2 - V1.0G

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B071XQGYRJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_YrlUFbJ10921M

Yes it would. But for a little more money- USD 98- I would get:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH190-Stereo-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B078WFDR8D/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sony%2Bamplifier%2Bstereo&qid=1605952086&sr=8-1&th=1

The higher price ought to be made up for via service life/reliability.

The only issue may be a larger footprint.

This is great!  Thanks so much, Kumar.  Have a great day.