Sonos Amp with Bose 151 Outdoor Speakers

• 5 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi,

Can I use a Sonos Amp to power my Bose 151 outdoor speakers (rated for max 100 watt)?  Not sure if the 125 watt output to these speakers would distort the sound or provide poor quality.

Please let me know

4 replies

Yes, you can. If you want to be super careful, you can restrict the output level of the amp to 80%. Or any other level, just to keep the speakers protected. Not for anything to do with sound quality.

Thanks Kumar.  I had my 151 speakers connected to my Sonos amp this Summer and the sound quality was very poor.  muffled and cracking.  Very odd for a Bose speaker and when I spoke to their customer service team it could be because the Sonos Amp is pushing 125w while the speaker handles max 100w.  

Where in the settings of the Amp can you control the output level?  I may want to adjust accordingly.

Thanks!

the sound quality was very poor.  muffled and cracking.  Very odd for a Bose speaker and when I spoke to their customer service team it could be because the Sonos Amp is pushing 125w while the speaker handles max 100w.  

Where in the settings of the Amp can you control the output level?  I may want to adjust accordingly.

That sounds like a defective speaker. The Sonos amp will put out 125 w only at 100% on the volume sliders. Were you even close to that point? At any time?

Use the balance slider in the Sonos app EQ to see if just one of the two speakers is cracking, and then that would be the broken unit.

If you go to System in the Sonos app, and click on Sonos Amp and scroll down, you should see a volume limit setting.

This is what I thought so I’m having Bose take a look at my speakers and repair them.  I don’t believe I’ve run the Amp at 100% volume but will see what Bose comes back with once they had a chance to look at the speakers.

Thanks!