Sonos Amp + Kef LS50 Meta + KC62 Sub tuning

• 12 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have a Sonos Amp with KEF LS50 Metas with the KC62 subwoofer for stereo listening. Previously I had Dali Opticon 1 MKII on the Sonos Amp and found them muddy. I’m impressed with the LS50 Metas + KC62. This combo beats my Sonos Five Stereo Pair for music. 

I’m curious how others have tuned the KC62 to match the LS50 Metas. I found the KC62 is slow to turn on at low volumes with the Amp sub at 0. I originally started with the KC62 volume at 3 o’clock and the Amp at 0. It was far too much sub gain. I dialed back the KC62 to 12 o’clock but had the aforementioned slow turn on issue. I upped the Amp gain through the S2 app to +8 and dialed back the KC62 to 9 o’clock.  This seemed to work well at volume 15, but at 20 the low end response was too strong. I’ve kept the KC62 EQ at Room. Phase 0. 

Anyone else with this setup tune in the KC62? It would be great to hear settings and placement tips. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I am mimicing this exact setup, waiting to add the KC62s in the next week.  Did a standard RCA to LFE connection work best with the Sonos Amp + KC62?  Or should I explore buying an RCA to Y-Splitter L+R cord to connect to both line inputs on the KEF sub? 

I can report back on the gains / placements once i get squared away.  Thanks!

Badge

I am mimicing this exact setup, waiting to add the KC62s in the next week.  Did a standard RCA to LFE connection work best with the Sonos Amp + KC62?  Or should I explore buying an RCA to Y-Splitter L+R cord to connect to both line inputs on the KEF sub? 

I can report back on the gains / placements once i get squared away.  Thanks!

Sonos Amp LFE → Standard RCA → KEF KC62 LFE

Worked fined for me.  At very low volumes (<10), the KEF KC62 would not wake until a stronger bass note hit when the Sonos Amp was at the default gain (0).  Bumping up the gain seemed to speed up the wake from Standby on the KEF KC62. I think the current KEF KC62 and recent Sonos Amp firmware fix the LFE wake from standby issues that were initially reported.

I’m also curious the crossover point that folks are using.  I’m using the standard 80Hz, which most reviews say is fine for the KEF LS50 Metas, but some analysis say pushing to 100Hz would improve distortion at higher listening levels.  The KEF KC62 is fairly flat, so I could see 100Hz being within the realm, but I’m worried about directionality of bass. 

I’m using Gen 1 LS-50s (couldn’t pass up a barely used pair locally at a steep discount), so it’ll be a slight variation.  Hope to report back this weekend or early next week.  

Badge

FWIW, I dialed back the gain on the S2 app considerably after extended listening from my desk.  Currently, at +2 in the S2 app.  There seems to be a dead spot where I was listening last night after setting up. It was quite boomy from my desk listening position.  Changing the EQ on the KC62 didn’t affect the boominess, so I left it ‘Room’.

• KC62 Volume: 9 o’clock
  • KC62 EQ: Room
  • KC62 LEF (Crossover max)
  • KC62 Phase: 0 degrees
  • Sonos Amp Sub Level: +2
  • Sonos Amp Crossover: 80Hz
  • Sonos Amp Phase: 0 degrees
Spent a while dialing in the KC62. Our room is large (55 ft x 15 ft), with the listening area in the middle by our dining table.  High ceilings as well, 12 foot roughly.

almost identical to your latest setting, the only tweaks I made are below  
  • Sonos Amp Sub Level: +1
  • KC62 Volume: 10 o’clock