Sonos Amp 6 speakers that are NOT Architectural series

• 19 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I know Sonos says they only support 6 speakers when using Architectural series speakers, however, has anyone had success with 6 8ohm speakers connected to a Sonos Amp?  If so kindly advise.  I’m looking to setup 6 outdoor rock speakers which are 8ohm and wondering if it might work.  I’m not looking to play them super loud and already limit the volume to 80% to prevent clipping on the current Connect: Amp that is powering 4 of them today.  Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It's not going to work, unless you wire in some impedance matching volume controls.  Without impedance matching, the overall impedance will be 2 Ohms, and the Sonos Amp will go into fault mode when overall impedance is below 4 Ohms.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It's not going to work, unless you wire in some impedance matching volume controls.  Without impedance matching, the overall impedance will be 2 Ohms, and the Sonos Amp will go into fault mode when overall impedance is below 4 Ohms.

Thanks.  6 x 8ohm speakers will actually be 1.3 ohms of impedance.  The architectural series must have a higher impedance than 8 ohms for them to be able to do this.