Answered

Playing from turntable through Port to existing am and speakers

• 9 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi

Yesterday, I installed my Port and it worked largely as advertised. My system has a turntable, vacuum tube preamp and vacuum tube power amp. The port’s RCA inputs are connected to the preamp’s output, and the port’s RCA outputs are connected to the power amp’s Line in. I can play the turntable through the Sonos speakers, which is why I bought the Port, but I can no longer play the turntable just (not through the Sonos speaker) through the hifi speakers without first removing the Port. Is there an app setting I’m missing, or does the Port not just pass through audio signals if the app is not in use?

icon

Best answer by buzz 9 July 2023, 04:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

None of the SONOS products “pass through” Line-In. Line-In is simply a network resource that can be assigned to play in any combination of “Rooms”, including the Line-Out that is in the same shell as the Line-In. Line-Out is simply another player on the network. Note that there is at least a 75ms time offset between Line-In and output from a player, even if the player shares the same shell as the Line-In.

If you want to play the turntable directly through your amplifier, use a Y-cable to connect the preamp output to Line-In and a high level input on your amplifier. Keep in mind that there will be a time offset.

Thanks Buzz. The Y-cable worked and with an adjustment to the delay, hifi speakers and Sonos speakers are close to synchronised. That said, I’m now at a loss as to what the Port’s line out on the port does for me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Port’s Line out will play what you have chosen for it to play in the Sonos app. To hear the turntable, you need to tell the Port to play the Line in.

That said, I’m now at a loss as to what the Port’s line out on the port does for me. 

Line-Out will allow you to play music services through your amplifier. If you Group PORT’s Line-Out with other SONOS Rooms, all Rooms will be synchronized.

Ahh, so it’ll play whatever is playing through the Sonos app/speakers through my amp/speakers. Got it. Thanks

Think of the Sonos as just another tape deck. Line out is just a reflection of what’s playing, either on the Line in, or on the deck itself. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It was discussed a few years ago, but I would still like to see Ports or Connects (S2’s) that are used for line-in sources to only show up in the music sources and not as a room. I have 3 different devices being used as inputs and would like them not to clutter up the Rooms tab. Another option would be to add a different color to the devices being used as line in sources. It would provide a nice visual cue that the device is only being used as an input.

It was discussed a few years ago, but I would still like to see Ports or Connects (S2’s) that are used for line-in sources to only show up in the music sources and not as a room. I have 3 different devices being used as inputs and would like them not to clutter up the Rooms tab. Another option would be to add a different color to the devices being used as line in sources. It would provide a nice visual cue that the device is only being used as an input.

You used to be able to hide the original ZP-80 if you only used it as a Bridge, until the Bridge came out.  So the function is possible.  

“Rooms” are sorted by name. You could prefix your Line-In Rooms with a character that causes them to appear at the bottom of the list.