Connection Issues - Sonos S1 and Connect:Amp

Ever since I upgraded to the Sonos S1 iOS app a few years ago, I’ve been having connection issues. Here’s what’s happening:

I have a Sonos Connect:Amp. The amp is in a basement cabinet with router and cable modem. I have 2 exterior rock speakers that are hard-wired directly into the amp. The amp is connected via Ethernet to a small hub that’s connected to the WiFi router right next to the unit. The Sonos LAN settings are configured for Ethernet (says WM:0) in About My System.

I have 2 WiFi networks. Call them Primary and Secondary. The reason for the Secondary will be explained below. The Primary WiFi network is an Apple AirPort Extreme (located on 3rd floor) with AirPort Express repeaters at different spots around the home (garage, basement and pool cabana, all Ethernet wired). I have full strength no matter where I am. It’s been rock solid for years. Secondary WiFi is actually the cableco provided router with a WiFi option that I have turned on.

Here’s the Sonos issue: While connected to Primary WiFi, I launch the Sonos S1 iOS app (build 11.9, 571641110). It simply will won’t connect. Same from different iOS devices. After about a minute, you get a message at the top that says “Unable to connect to Sonos Learn More”. The only way to connect is if I switch WiFi network to the Secondary WiFi. I kill the Sonos app, relaunch, and it works. So the question is why does it only work on the Secondary WiFi? Both WiFi networks use same subnet and IP range (192.168.2.___). This all used to work perfectly. I have not made any changes to my network in over 5 years. I have gone through the amp reset process a few times but it doesn’t change anything. I cannot figure out why it does not work with my Primary WiFi. 

BTW: using the Secondary WiFi all the time is not an option. It’s in the basement and does not cover the second floor well. Also, switching to WiFi for Sonos is not an option either. Tried that and it simply does not work reliably. I also tried the other Sonos app (the one with the yellow/orange app icon) and there’s no difference.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7

What do you mean that you “upgraded” to the Sonos S1 app? The latest Sonos controller is S2. So do you mean you “down graded” your Sonos to S1?

A few years ago, I was promoted to upgrade to Sonos S1 as the prior version was being discontinued. So I upgraded to S1 and that’s when these problems began. I’ve just been switching WiFi networks but I’m getting fed up doing this all the time.

Regarding the S2 app, I’ve never had it. I don’t even see that app in the AppStore. If I search for “Sonos” I get the following results: 

• Sonos app with a yellow/orange app icon (v15.5). App icon just says “SONOS”. Anyway, I tried that app and it doesn’t work.
  • Sonos S1 Controller (v.11.9…the app I currently have)
  • An app called S1 & S2 Speaker Controller but this is not made by Sonos but by Universal Remote Labs Company Ltd. Is this the app I should be using? Looks like a 3rd party app. I also get a similar sounding app but it’s says “Sono”.

If I look at all apps made by Sonos Inc. all it shows is the first 2 on my list above and nothing else. No S2 app. Can you send me the AppStore link to the latest app that’s compatible with my Connect:Amp? BTW I am using iOS 16.5 on all my devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The change over to S2 has always been called “upgrade”. You calling the renaming of the old Sonos software to S1 also “upgrade” can be confusing.

Sonos can have trouble when you are using repeaters as on your primary network. Maybe there’s something there that’s in the way of a connection.

OK, but where is the S2 app? How do I install the latest version? I cannot find it in AppStore. I currently have S1. Maybe the best way to proceed is to instal the most recent Sonos app that support the Connect:Amp.

As far as repeaters are concerned, I never had any issue prior to S1. But I will try a test. I’ll unplug all the repeaters and put the Apple AirPort Extreme wifi router in the cabinet in the basement where the amp is located. I’ll plug the amp right into the Apple router. If this works, then the repeaters might be the problem. At least it’s a clue.

Userlevel 7

On a plane now. So I’ll make this short. When S2 software was released the old software was renamed S1. So if you are using S1 you have the original software that was just rebranded. Not an upgrade.

I suggest that you exclusively fetch controllers from the SONOS site. The gold colored controller is S2. S1 is gray.

Likely this is a network issue. Describe your network for us. Include model numbers.

OK, so is there an S2 app at all? Or, is my S1 app the most recent version even if it’s called S1 and not S2?

This is genuinely confusing. Why would Sonos release an S2 app then rename it as S1?

I suggest that you exclusively fetch controllers from the SONOS site. The gold colored controller is S2. S1 is gray.

Likely this is a network issue. Describe your network for us. Include model numbers.

OK, so the gold coloured app that just says SONOS is actually S2. Got it. I tried that app and get same results.

You want model numbers for my Apple Wifi router and repeaters?

The original SONOS controller that you had been using was renamed ‘S1’. ‘S2’ is a different application. You cannot simply flip between S1 and S2 because each requires its own dedicated firmware. Some of the older players cannot be upgraded to S2. Here is a compatibility list.

I’m not sure what you mean by “Primary” and “Secondary” networks. All SONOS players and controllers must be on the same network. Having multiple access points does not necessarily imply “Primary” and “Secondary” because they could be configured to part of the same network. In network speak all SONOS players and controllers must be on the same “subnet”.

It would be handy if we had model numbers. What is wired? Wireless? It is possible to have all of the Apple units on the same subnet, but it is too easy to set them up as separate subnets. Do you have any other SONOS units?

Phones/pads/computers that primarily access the external Internet don’t care about subnet. SONOS and the controllers must be able to communicate with each other on the same subnet.

The original SONOS controller that you had been using was renamed ‘S1’. ‘S2’ is a different application. You cannot simply flip between S1 and S2 because each requires its own dedicated firmware. Some of the older players cannot be upgraded to S2. Here is a compatibility list.

I’m not sure what you mean by “Primary” and “Secondary” networks. All SONOS players and controllers must be on the same network. Having multiple access points does not necessarily imply “Primary” and “Secondary” because they could be configured to part of the same network. In network speak all SONOS players and controllers must be on the same “subnet”.

It would be handy if we had model numbers. What is wired? Wireless? It is possible to have all of the Apple units on the same subnet, but it is too easy to set them up as separate subnets. Do you have any other SONOS units?

Phones/pads/computers that primarily access the external Internet don’t care about subnet. SONOS and the controllers must be able to communicate with each other on the same subnet.

I’m going to stick with S1 for now. It works perfectly when I connect to the Secondary WiFi.

By Primary and Secondary I’m simply referring to the SSIDs. The Apple Airport’s SSID is called Primary and the cableco WiFi rounder SSID is called Secondary. So I have 2 wireless networks on the network. Both use same submit (255.255.255.0). Everything is on same subnet. I only have 1 Sonos amp with 2 wired outdoor speakers.

Here’s what’s wired via Ethernet:

• Apple AirPort Extreme (A1408 5th gen)
  • All 3 Apple AirPort Express repeaters (model A1392)
  • Sonos Connect:Amp

Is CONNECT:AMP wired to the Extreme or an Express? Are the Expresses wired or wireless? I’m not an Airport user. Is CONNECT:AMP wired to one of the Expresses? There may be an option set in the Extreme that prevents its wireless traffic from crossing over to Ethernet connections.

Userlevel 7

I still don’t think you understand what is meant by S1 and S2

Sonos designed new products that would not operate properly on the original controller/software as they had different requirements. Sonos had hundreds of users like yourself with older products that worked perfectly on the original controller/software and decided not to brick their products by just ditching the original controller/software and leaving them behind.

Sonos decided to maintain the original controller/software and release the new controller/software for it’s newer products and run them side by side

Since the controller/software is a download Sonos had to devise a naming method for users to know which controller/software to download...the original or new.

Sonos decided to call the original controller/softwareS1” and the new controller/softwareS2”. Therefore when you went to the App Store The original controller/software was easily identified with the label “Sonos S1” (Grey w/white letters) and the new controller/software was labeled as “Sonos S2” (Gold w/black letters).

Sonos on their web site as previously provided by @buzz supplied a link for users to know which Sonos products would work on the original controller/software (S1) as well as the  new controller/software (S2) and which products required S1 or S2 exclusively.

These next comments are just my honest opinion and advice I’d give to anyone. So no offense intended.

You have stated that...

As far as repeaters are concerned, I never had any issue prior to S1. But I will try a test. I’ll unplug all the repeaters and put the Apple AirPort Extreme wifi router in the cabinet in the basement where the amp is located. I’ll plug the amp right into the Apple router. If this works, then the repeaters might be the problem. At least it’s a clue.

Then you say…

I’m going to stick with S1 for now. It works perfectly when I connect to the Secondary WiFi.

The secondary Wi-Fi you say is...

the cableco WiFi rounder SSID is called Secondary.”

All the above leads me to believe your Connect:Amp is a 1st Generation that requires the S1 controller. It seems to work best when connected to a simple router (secondary). If it is a 2nd generation then it’s the network it’s being connected to that makes the difference.

I’ll add that Airport Expresses and Airport Extreme in your “primary” network are outdated. Those products were last introduced in 2012 and 2013 respectively. As a rule of thumb if your network components are 5 years or older with no updates on the horizon it's recommended the components be swapped out for new ones. Apple ceased any meaning support as of 2018 (although you can still call Apple for limited assistance). Furthermore, there is too much signal “hopping” going on with that setup. 

My final recommendation is to consider upgrading to a reliable Mesh Network setup. 

I totally understand the nomenclature of the versions now. The gold app icon that says SONOS is actually S2. I get it. The fact that it didn’t explicitly say S2 is what threw me off. In any event, it doesn’t work with that app but I’m not sure it would’t. It says that I should use S1 OR create a new Sonos system from scratch. Since it works perfectly fine with S1 when I able to connect, I’ll just stick with S1.

Here’s an update on my troubleshooting:

I noticed that when I jingled the RJ-45 connector that goes to the AirPort Express in the basement, the light on the switch goes off. So I re-terminated with a new connector. Also, although the light on the Apple AirPort Express was green in the pool cabana, I noticed that I could not see it in the Airport Utility software. So I decided to do a hard reset on the AirPort Express. It then reappeared in the Airport Utility. I then configured it to extend the Primary WiFi network. And voila, I am able to connect to the Sonos through the Primary WiFi network which I haven’t been able to do in a long time. Not sure my issue is fully resolved. Can’t understand why one bad connection or a malfunctioning repeater would cause this issue sine the amp is plugged directly into a switch.  Anyway, time will tell.

Regarding the WiFi hardware, the bottom line is that the Apple Airport system was one of the best solutions around. It was the only end-to-end solution that allowed you to have any number of repeaters that would connect and extend an existing WiFi base router’s signal as opposed to creating new WiFi networks with different SSIDS. I know it’s dated but it’s been working perfectly fine. That said, I am looking at switching to new technology. My cableco offers this all home WiFi / TV solution. Apparently the WiFi signal is very powerful which means I may not need repeaters. I can also get 600Mbps download vs 100Mbps which is what I have now.

If I did need repeaters, what product would you recommend? Is this what you mean by mesh? What I read is that some of these products actually downgrade your speed. What’s the point of putting in a 600Mbps router to wave a repeater downgrade that to a slower speed.

Userlevel 7

Take a look at this link on Mesh Networks. It’s rather long but should answer your questions.