Answered

Connecting BeoSound 9000 CD Player to Sonos Amp

• 14 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

I have been trying to connect a BeoSound 9000 CD Player to a Sonos Amp.  First I used a 5 Pin DIN to 2X RCA male cable to connect the BeoSound AUX to the Line In on the Sonos Amp.  Just got very faint sound even with the volume turned all the way up.  Checked on this Forum and realized the cable I had was probably wired for Line Out and the faint sound was cross talk between the pins on the DIN socket on the BeoSound.

Next, I used a Kenable 5 Pin Male Din Plug to 4 x RCA Phono Male Plugs Audio Cable that I bought from Amazon.  I used the black RCA plug in the left Line In channel and the yellow RCA plug in the right Line In channel on the Amp.  I have tried the DIN plug in the AUX socket and the second Powerlink socket designed for connecting powered B&O speakers to the BeoSound.  

No sound out of the AUX socket. with the DIN in the Powerlink socket, I get mono sound only out of some components of my Sonos system but not the speakers or sub connected to the Amp the BeoSound is connected with.  Very strange.

Thinking about trying a Digital audio coax to 2X RCA cable next and connecting this to the DIG OUT coax socket on the BeoSound.

Has anyone else tried doing what I’m trying to do?  Seems like it should be simple, but it hasn’t been.

All suggestions appreciated!

icon

Best answer by pup 15 April 2023, 21:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

With the first cable, did you adjust the Source Level setting higher under the Line-In settings for the Amp?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You are trying to get the sound from the B&O to the Port, I guess. An AUX is in my experience always an “in”not an “out”, so that would indeed not work. According to this scheme, from https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/topic/beosound-9000-audio-problem/, that looks to be the case: 

I would think the signal from the digital out would need a digital to analogue conversion before the Port could use it. Just a “Digital audio coax to 2X RCA cable”, if such a thing exists, would not be sufficient.

My experience with DIN outputs is that their level is very low compared to what we normally associate with “Line Level”. Also, the output from the speaker jack would track the B&O’s Volume control.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You might send a note to Steve Mariott, who specializes in B&O cables -

https://soundsheavenly.com

The website says that he’s only doing UK shipping right now, but he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Userlevel 2

Yes, this is what i plan on doing.  Luckily, my brother lives in the UK, so I am having the cable Steve makes for this purpose shipped to his address.  My brother will then forward it to me here in CA.  Thanks for your suggestion.  It was my last resort, but after the Digital audio coax to 2X RCA cable did not work at all, I was left with no other choice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Still not completely sure what you are trying to achieve here, and so what cable you would need. Are you trying to get sound from the Port to the B&O (using the Aux that seems to be an “in” only - or am I wrong about this?), or do you want to get sound from the B&O system to the Port (using the digital connection that is an “out” only and need digital to analogue conversion)?

Userlevel 2

With the first cable, did you adjust the Source Level setting higher under the Line-In settings for the Amp?

Yes!

Userlevel 2

Still not completely sure what you are trying to achieve here, and so what cable you would need. Are you trying to get sound from the Port to the B&O (using the Aux that seems to be an “in” only - or am I wrong about this?), or do you want to get sound from the B&O system to the Port (using the digital connection that is an “out” only and need digital to analogue conversion)?

I am trying to get sound from the Beosound 9000 to a Sonos Amp.  The only cable I have found advertised that will do this is from the SoundsHeavenly website.  A 5 pin DIN to 2X Male RCA cable wired to allow signal from the Powerlink DIN socket to the Amp.  Most of the cables available online that look like this are wired for line in and are not wired for line out.