Answered

Can you add 2 Connect's to the same Group/Zone/?

• 29 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello Sonos gurus, my current setup in my 2 room apartment is:

• Android phone playing YouTube Music/TuneIn/whatever via BT
  • Bedroom has a Como Audio Solo + Como Ambiente, forming a nice little stereo setup which recieves BT and duly plays the audio
  • Living Room has an Aiyima D03 BT amp, which recieves the BT audio and powers 2 small but powerful-enough-for-me bookshelf speakers

It works just fine, except that I’m always moving between the rooms, and hence am always disconnecting & connecting the Como and the Aiymima on my phone. This is very tiresome.

Hence, I am very interested if 2 Connects could be grouped together in order to play audio in both rooms without the faffing around. This seems a great fit for me if possible as I get to leverage my existing audio hardware.

Since I’m a total Sonos n00b, I don’t really know where to start when determining if this setup is feasible and hence a few pointers / links would be fantastic.

Cheers.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 29 April 2024, 15:16

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @sming, welcome to the Sonos Community!

This is possible and isn’t too much hassle as long as your existing devices have line-in and line-out connections. While you can do this with a Sonos Connect, it has been replaced by the Sonos Port meaning you’d have to find someone selling their Connect as we no longer produce them.

You set up the Port and the Connect in the same way, but if you are going for the connect, you’ll want to check with the previous owner if it was a Gen 1 or Gen 2 as that determines what app you should use.

You could set the system up where your Como setup is wired via both line-in and line-out to the first Port/Connect, and your Aiyima setup is also wired in the same way to the other Port/Connect. Then you would group the two Ports/Connects in the Sonos app, select Line-in under Browse, and choose the Port/Connect for the device your phone is connected to. Make sure that you change the autoplay settings in the Sonos app to also include grouped rooms.

Feel free to reply if you have any additional questions for other community members or myself.

I hope this information helps!

Hi @Jamie A , 

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, it's very helpful indeed.

Judging by the price of the port versus connect, I will be going with the connect solution.

I have a couple of questions if you'd be so good:

1. would you definitely recommend picking up Gen 2 connect versus Gen 1 (see my next question too)?

2. I really would rather not use the Sonos app to input my audio selection. Is it possible to stick to the native apps? for example I use Smart audiobook player, I use tunein, I use YouTube music, youtube, all sorts of different clients and I rely on macros (using macrodroid) to find and play the appropriate media. So do I have to use the Sonos app? I actually cannot see how one could get away without using the Sonos app, but I thought I would ask anyway.

3. Do I need concern myself with analogue v.s. digital line outputs (from the connect)? Whilst I very much do not want an audible hiss in the background, High Fidelity audio is not top of my list - good enough will suffice. 

Many thanks, Peter 

Hi @Jamie A , 

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, it's very helpful indeed.

Judging by the price of the port versus connect, I will be going with the connect solution.

I have a couple of questions if you'd be so good:

1. would you definitely recommend picking up Gen 2 connect versus Gen 1 (see my next question too)?

The Connect Gen 1 is only on the S1 system, which is essentially a frozen OS without any more upgrades, or allowing you to add many/most of the current sold Sonos products.  And of course, Gen 1 units are going to be older and more likely to fail.

Connect Gen 2 that are on S2 are going to be a better option, but again they are going to be older and more prone to failure than a Port.  The Port also has updated hardware, but it sounds like a Connect will meet your needs.

2. I really would rather not use the Sonos app to input my audio selection. Is it possible to stick to the native apps? for example I use Smart audiobook player, I use tunein, I use YouTube music, youtube, all sorts of different clients and I rely on macros (using macrodroid) to find and play the appropriate media. So do I have to use the Sonos app? I actually cannot see how one could get away without using the Sonos app, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Some streaming apps have the ability to cast audio directly to your speakers. I am pretty sure that Youtube and Youtube music do not, not sure about your other sources.  If you are using an iOS device, there is airplay, but again, I don’t know if Connect supports this (Port does).  Sonos also has an open API that you can send commands to, but I do not know if your custom setup can use the API.

3. Do I need concern myself with analogue v.s. digital line outputs (from the connect)? Whilst I very much do not want an audible hiss in the background, High Fidelity audio is not top of my list - good enough will suffice. 

No.

Many thanks, Peter