Answered

Bridge with Playbar

• 26 October 2016
  • 4 replies

Hi, I have read somewhere that if you have a playbar wired to your router it will act in the same way as a bridge. I have both, and both wired to the router direct with Ethernet cables. Do I actually need the bridge?
icon

Best answer by ratty 26 October 2016, 16:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have read somewhere that if you have a playbar wired to your router it will act in the same way as a bridge.
It does.

Do I actually need the bridge?

Nope.
Thanks Ratty, according to my system details I am also in Boost mode, will I lose that if I'm only using the playbar?
No. I wish Sonos hadn't called it 'BOOST Setup'. There's no requirement for a BOOST at all.

You are in 'SonosNet mode', i.e. using the dedicated wireless mesh between Sonos units. This mode occurs automatically if one or more Sonos devices -- of any type -- are wired.

You can check if you wish, and it sounds as if you already have. Go to About My Sonos System in your controller and look for 'WM:0' to indicate SonosNet, or a wired connection. Units which are connected to the router's WiFi show 'WM:1' instead (or 'WM:2' for a PLAYBAR's surrounds/SUB).
Thanks again Ratty, all great advice 😃