Answered

AV Receivers "Works with Sonos"

• 7 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

A friend has asked for my help updating their sound system.  They have built in speakers for a home theater in two rooms.  Sonos “was” out of the question as a Sonos Amp only powers one pair, so many would have been required.  The new AV receivers that advertise “works with sonos” would be a good solution.

Question:  Are there any receivers/amps that do not require a Sonos Patch?  In working up various systems, the Patch dramatically adds to the cost.  I.E. are there any that have the “complete works” built in?

icon

Best answer by amun 7 February 2023, 15:41

View original

7 replies

What’s a “Sonos Patch”? 

Do you mean Sonos Port?

“Works with Sonos” doesn’t mean that you can do away with Sonos hardware, it just gives limited functionality to the AV receiver. For example, when you play music on the attached Sonos kit then it turns the receiver on and sets it to the chosen volume.

My receiver, an Onkyo, supports “Works with Sonos”, but I found it a bit pointless for my usage.

Like @melvimbe, I’m assuming that you mean a Port, in which the answer is no, you still need the Port to pass music to the AV kit. As far as I’m aware, there are no AV receivers with Sonos capability built in.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

If your friend has all the speakers and AV Receiver already I’d just get a Port, attach it to the receiver and you’ve just make their existing surround sound system Sonos compatible. I have Sonos speakers spread all over other rooms in my house but frankly, the Port makes my third party surround sound system is the best “Sonos” speaker in the house.

Userlevel 1

What’s a “Sonos Patch”? 

Sorry, Port.

Userlevel 1

“Works with Sonos” doesn’t mean that you can do away with Sonos hardware, it just gives limited functionality to the AV receiver. For example, when you play music on the attached Sonos kit then it turns the receiver on and sets it to the chosen volume.

Thanks.  That is what I assumed.  So the “WWS” branding simply means it can be directed by the Sonos Port. 

I would love for there to be an AV Receiver that was Sonos integrated.  Perhaps in the future.

Thanks.  That is what I assumed.  So the “WWS” branding simply means it can be directed by the Sonos Port. 

I would love for there to be an AV Receiver that was Sonos integrated.  Perhaps in the future.

It’s unlikely that Sonos is going to go to that level of integration with a third party AVR.  For one thing, the Sonos amp was designed to cover this need to an extent.  Yes, it only powers 2 channels of audio, but it simulates a phantom center channel and can bonded with a 2nd amp for rear surrounds (or Sonos speakers), giving you 5.1.  That may not be enough to many folks, but when you go beyond that and don’t want wireless, the customer is probably looking for a rather extensive, custom setup.